Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

4 May 2024 00:16

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Russell Tribe
Subject: Coriolis effect on movement a constant distance from axis
Question: Forgive me if I'm hijacking the main purpose of this site: gyroscopes. However, I found your helpful explanation of Coriolis effect quite fascinating and it raised an intriguing question related to my interest in meteorology. Is the value of Coriolis effect zero when a particle moves along a constant radius on a rotating plane?

If the answer is yes, then do air masses moving exactly east - west or west - east experience a deflection to the right in the northern hemisphere? If the answer to that is no (as I think it probably is) why are pressure systems drawn as circular objects? Surely they would be elipses with the major axis east - west?
Date: 21 December 2008
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

• No answers yet
  • Add an Answer >>
    Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
    Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products