Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

4 May 2024 05:28

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: satyan Sharma
Subject: Gyros and Watches
Question: I came across a wrist watch made by a Swiss Co which has a Gyromatic Movement. Does anybody tell me what is this and how it works,
thanks in advance for your help, - satyan
Date: 3 February 2009
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Grant Hayman - 19/03/2009 18:06:04
 I think I know a bit more about this watch. I beleive there is a tiny gyroscope of sorts inside the watch. When you move during the day the gyroscope reacts to your movements and that force can be used to wind the spring. Essentially it is a self winding watch as long as you move it around randomly.

Not sure of the exact mechanism but maybe this helps.

Report Abuse
Answer: The Watchman - 20/03/2009 20:14:09
 Hello satyan Sharma,

This is a link to the "gyromatic movement"

http://bbwatches.info/images-watches/gpchronogyrowhitesteel_09.jpg

It is basically an automatic self winding mechanism which winds the spring by the user wearing the watch via a pendulum, so no proper gyro here. Nevetheless an excellent device to do away with batteries for watches, i've had a similar type of watch for over 20 odd years, its never been serviced and keeps great time without the quartz.

The Watchman.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products