Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

2 May 2024 18:05

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Glenn Hawkins
Subject: MAD MEN
Question: All our explanations are mad! though there are very intelligent people involved here. To perspective, the word count of the average major motion pictures script is 22,000 words.

WORD COUNTS
Film script = …………….….22,000 words

Luis post 34 entries …….16,758 words
Harry post 109 entries ……48,380 words
Luis post 38 entries …….7,100 words
Harry 204 entries ……56,765 on EDH
Glenn 93 entries ……24,298 words
Luis 39 entries ……12,814
Glenn 42 entries…….19,700

We are still at it. Additionally, arguments issue. What is the answer?

I know everything---- everything in the mechanical. It is so simple and clear and perfect and complete. I can run it through my mine in less than one second! I SWEAR TO GOD I BELIEVE THIS. I KNOW I AM RIGHT. THERE IS NO QUESTION. But I can’t explain it. I have tried to develop an explanation. When I look over my efforts I know I have not made myself and the mechanics understandable. I never post it. Rather than being pretty smart, maybe I am just stupid. But then I think of the rest of you and I know you are not stupid and you can’t do it either-- make yourselves understood. The simple looking little thing is an atomic bomb. Its subject is wrapped in madness, the puzzle God left to punish us.
Date: 7 May 2009
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 07/05/2009 03:54:03
 Don't you hate it when you align everything, click on send and in the transmission everything gets out of line.

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 07/05/2009 03:58:26
 I can give you a nickel’s worth, but that’s all for now.

A GYROSCOPE IN GIMBALS

The center of mass always remains in its point in space.

When setting upright, and the gyroscope is not rotating and is tilted, it is the upper and lower rims that arch in curvature down and up. The front and rear of the rim swivels and otherwise do not move from their points in space.

Sideways forces applied are to the top and bottom during tilting, but then we give rotation to the rim. Then, like bearings in a chase, particles rotate this sideways force and outward movement to the front and rear of the gyroscope, which remember, has had no applied sideways force applied against them. The bearings, i.e. partials rotate the applied force very fast to act on the front and rear potions of the rim. The front of the rim will be forced to move somewhat horizontally in in a curvature in one direction, while the rear of the rim will be forced to move in the opposite direction. This is precession.

When the gyroscope begins precessing the same conditions occur, with two exceptions. The rotated reaction that causes precession is also an applied force that twist, this time, causing the front and rear to tilt in a horizontal plain. This causes the bearing, i.e. partials to rotate and empty their applied force at the top and bottom of the rim. These forces have the tendency to secondarily precess the gyro back into it’s original position. The gyro through secondary precession pushes back up into the exact direction of the issuing force initially applied. A reaction force can’t be greater that the action force that sat everything in motion and so the force ends in an upward push against the downward push.

Once you understand all of it, it as I have said simple as it can be.
Maybe I’ll continue if anyone expresses an interest, otherwise to heck with it.

Love you all,
Glenn

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 07/05/2009 16:42:19
 If you have followed the last entry you show see that precession in gimbals conform exactly with Newton’s Laws.

OVERHUNG GYROSCOPES

About the same condition as in gimbals rings apply, with three primary condition added.

1) The torque that pushes up against the force that pushes down is as before halted, therefore all the force in the torque transfers to the pedestal. This holds the gyro aloft.

Remember as the top and bottom rim moves down and up, the front of the gyro is pushed around the pedestal, while the rear is pushed outward from it. This causes the circling around the pedestal.

2) The amount of distance the gyro sets out from the pedestal determines the radius of the arch in which it rises and falls. This radius of arch, whatever the distance, translates to the precession arch. The result is that the gyro is now prepared to orbit the pedestal at correspondingly variable radius' equal to the rise and fall arch cause by the length of the axle.

3) As the gyro begins to orbit there is the natural tendency that would twist the pedestal to rotate around the gyro. This dose not happen because the gyro is always moved forward to another place in space. This wheel movement would drag the pedestal, therefore at high speeds the pedestal does not rotate at all. The result is that that the equal, opposite law against the pivot, is overcome by the greater force the circling wheel.

Stay tuned

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 08/05/2009 02:25:55
 ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The gyroscopes elects to precess in the direction of upward rotation. Particles in the upward front section of the wheel rotate away from the pull of gravity. Partials in the rear half rotate downward assisted by the pull of gravity, but far, far more accelerated than the pull of gravity.

As the tilting begins, no matter how small, as the partials move downward they encounter force first. Can you understand? Because the wheel moves down (a little bit) to meat gravity. The front of the rim twist always before the rear of the rim twist and so the direction of precession is established.

If a overhung gyro is spun down ‘slow’ it will fall fast as it circles the pedestal. Precession very fast. Centrifuge will pull the gyro ‘powerfully’ away from the pedestal.
If precession is very slow there is very naturally and very normally very little centrifuge and angular momentum and the amount that is in fact acing is overcome by the forward twist of the rim, which is strongest, back into the curve toward the pedestal.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Where dual gyros are force to rotate fast around a hub, the extra acceleration, the pivot secured against the possibility of movement, and precession upwards blocked the spinning wheels would seem to be connected causing a centripetal effect. Sandy Kidd says that when tested with a spring gage there isn’t any centipede and so there could be no centrifuge. How this might happen is not known and how angular momentum might be missing is not known. Statements, thought they might be true, to say these two forces and mater vanish as they are transmitted down upon the hub is not an explanation. How and why that could it happen, not to say that it doesn’t, goes against three hundred years of accepted physics. For these ideas to be considered an explanation of how and why they might work has to be constructed.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
As an overhung precess’ it will carry extra mass.
It can be conceived that all the mass precessed is curved from rearward to forward, and under ‘certain condition‘ pivotal reaction at the pedestal is overcome as if there were no reaction. Mass displacement has taken place. Now this possibility is not accepted in physics, but it is true.
Whenever precession ‘under any arrangement’ is blocked and can precede no further all the initial applied force twist back into the pedestal. Equal and opposite are absolute.
There are three or more configurations using gyroscopes to attempt to find inertial propulsion---- but the gyro itself is explained here and the explanation should help thoughtful people.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
The explanation is finish. That’s about all there is to it. It is a simple mechanical process that’s tough to grasp at first. I know it will fall on deft ears. Guess who doesn’t care any more. Finished! Yippee ! Yippee ! Yippee ! Yippee ! (thanks Pat)

All those wasted words! We could have written a hundred good movies.

Report Abuse
Answer: Harry K. - 08/05/2009 09:29:38
 Hello Glenn,

Congratulations for finding the enlightenment! However, some of your arguments are incomplete, blurry and I'm missing some important arguments about general gyro behavior. But I'm not sure if you want to read again "wasted" words and I also do not want to start again an endless new discussion about already stated old facts?

By the way, many of these "wasted" words here in this forum are not wasted because they are untrue, but wasted because they might not be understood! ;-)

Regards,
Harry

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 08/05/2009 13:00:18
 Hello Harry,

Thank you for your critique, (I mean it) but with that you must tell me specifics. What exactly is it you find ‘incomplete‘ and what is ‘blurry’ and what do you believe is “missing’ ?

This isn’t endless any more. For me it is simple and concluded, except that your objections need to be clarified and corrected. It will be very simple to do, because this post is dealing only with why and how a gyroscope functions. It is only about a series of reaction of a few metal parts in motion, not about how those motions can be manipulated and used by humans.

By the way, many of these words in the forum weren’t wasted though some weren’t understood by everyone, but many were wasted, because they were unnecessary! ;-)

Regards,
Glenn

Harry, do you use Google Earth?

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 08/05/2009 20:07:04
 Hi Harry,

Oh I see. You might have though I was talking about your words in your long post. No, no. Everyone’s words at one time, or another over the last five years, my words especially. I don’t mind. I’m not buying words. It was just an observation and true word counts that show the nature of the subject of that little thing that spins and defies the efforts and explanations of a whole group of intelligent people. With as many words I could have written a ten year running T.V. series about Harry K. inventing, building and commanding a starship in a five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before. Smile you’re on Candied Camera.

Nice talking to you.

Regards,
Glenn

Report Abuse
Answer: patrick - 10/05/2009 10:00:43
 i am only trying. 1 thing 2 say is im out of here soon,jus thought i might get a bit of pen 2 paper interaction.....................nothin yet so..........goodbye,it was only a theory.............maybee nex time.patrick.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 10/05/2009 13:20:09
 FOR PAT:

Well, I see my pal, Patrick is up and about these wet and wonderful days in mid March. Hi Pat. I wouldn’t get too crestfallen. I’ve decided that posting here is to the benefit of the poster more than the reader. Just look at one of us ‘Don’t post on my post. I have a right. Waha, waha, waha. ’ So you got to post and I was able to understand some of your theory. Don’t go far. Post once in a while. Maybe it will help us grow hair on our chest if nothing else. Nice talking to you kido. Hang in.

Regards,
Glenn

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 14/05/2009 03:31:49
 I love Mexican people I swear an oath to God I do. I admire them. I love the music and they have such wonderful emotional and physical make ups. I just don't like one Mexican. I’ve been going to a high-class Mexican bar ‘Les Margaritas’ going on twenty years now. The black bar with a thousand little lights is six-feet above the dance floor -- it’s just beautiful. People know my Name. We’re always glad to see one another. We laugh and talk and drink and have fun making up plans to beat up a gringo then we go find one, preferable an albino as they are likely to have slightly lighter eyes and hair than me.

In all the things inside the known universe everything functions to cause and effect. If you ever visit a divorce court you are very likely to see one mate being very ugly to the other. Everyone thinks, " What an awful, ugly and mean person." But there was a cause for his, or her mean reaction. Was one mate was unfaithful, cruel, or just terrible? What happened in the past to make one ugly to the other? There was a reason to be sure. There is a reason for everything. You just don't know what caused it. Cause and effect. Cause and effect. There is always what one believes is a justifiable reason to be mean --- thought you don't know what it was. Sometimes I have to be careful not to have sympathy towards one, just because I don’t know why he is being slapped around.

I guess I’m about finished with him, but that always depends on what remarks may follow, doesn’t it. This one doesn’t seem to be too smart. He keeps repeating the same mistake. We’ll see. I think I’m finished -- satisfied you know.

Report Abuse
Answer: patrick - 05/06/2009 09:06:27
 IS IT a way,or too say
The price was love
Give it all up 4 today
give it all up till they say

I hope that i never wayne
i hope im here too stay
give it all up jus 2 say
that i ow i c the way

Cos if i was given love
By the hand o all mighty above
Id give it all up today
Tu help another find his way

COS i state there is no reason
To enialate them by treason
I would give it all up
for love
Id give it all up....take the pain
I hope u r the same..I HOPE U R THE SAME

Report Abuse
Answer: curious george - 15/06/2009 11:49:49
 glenn, how do you know that luis isn't american?

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 16/06/2009 22:44:44
 Curious George, that is a pretty sharp question and interesting. I had major surgery June 15 and my mind will be lessened a great deal for several weeks. I’ll try anyway. I’m laying off Luis. I’ve had my say. The answer will be in the little things said between the lines during the last four years that we’ve been posting, that alone and nothing more, nothing directly. Understanding is not a conscious effort, but languish is like that and sometimes you never know how, or why you form an idea. For me Luis is OK from now on, but I will not be OK in his mind for he holds grudges and that is the single major difference and reason for the past hostility. I am completely sure Luis is an American and I don‘t know why I believe that either. It is unlikely that I’m wrong, but I certainly could be. Anyway, I'm through with it.

Luis, Good luck to you.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products