Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

3 May 2024 16:42

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: dave
Subject: gyro Testing
Question: Why does a gyroscope needs to be run for 24 hours during testing?
Date: 10 May 2009
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Subramanian K - 16/05/2009 23:51:35
 I am not Quite sure why it has to be run for 24 hours after start for Testing, but I am sure & also aware(seen & experienced in our manufacture) that the Spinn wheel (spin motor) has to run for some min. 20 mts before comencing testing to enable the motor(spinning wheel to attain stability and also make the lubricants of the bearing flow freely without offering any frictional resistance(due to its own viscosity) and also the various clearances & mating surface fits evening to make the motor(spinning wheel 0 to Rotate without offering any resistance( or Gyro Terminology opposing Torque) so that the Axis of Rotation (SPIN AXIS) is retained constant in Direction (without any inherent Precession).
After such steady state is attained , if the Tests are conducted on Gyro, the results will be reliable & proportinal to the inputs.& Stable. This is to the Best of my knowledge .
Thanks

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 19/05/2009 02:10:12
 Hello Subramanian K,
At last some information with authority. Do you know any sites where I might find a self-contained and attached motor powered gyroscope? I understood you helped make these?
Glenn,

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products