Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

2 May 2024 18:08

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Glenn Hawkins
Subject: DISK EXPLOSION AND TITANIUM
Question:
I worried about rotating a wheel too fast. I worried about tilting a rotating wheel back and forth in fast jerks. If the rotation were too fast centipede would pull the wheel apart like an exploding grenade. Most people here who think, have been concerned about this. Sandy Kidd warned of the danger from the first hand observation of thoughtless people. raiv currently uses a site devoted to establishing some kind of rotational safety factor. But. . . constructing the wheel from titanium is the answer.

The density of titanium is half that of steel. It’s stiffness is also about half that of steel. Titanium is about half as brittle and breakable as steel. Elongation numbers explain how much bending a medal will take before breaking. Medal fatigue is the result of repetitive bending. Unlike other medals titanium has a threshold below which it will never fail, no matter how many times it is bent, but bent within limits.

I have reasoned lately, that if either a steel, or titanium wheel were rotated only half the speed to explosion, there would be so much built-up resistance to tilting that the force necessary to tilt the wheel quickly would be far too great for our experiments, needs and capabilities. In any case the use of titanium, for a couple of reasons should be four times the better to use. Best of all, if titanium were used in flywheels on long journeys through space, so far as extreme force was not applied against it, the wheel would be good as new upon arrival and return.

I had to come back and write more. Concern you know. Just don’t be an absolute idiot about this. Regardless that I have written the truth as I believe. A rotating wheel in extreme examples can kill you just like any machine can kill you.
Date: 6 June 2009
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 06/06/2009 12:18:42
 Centrifuge

Report Abuse
Answer: Ravi - 06/06/2009 17:48:26
 you've got me thinking of space ships that never age, glenn! cool.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products