Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

26 April 2024 03:52

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Glenn Hawkins
Subject: Back to Propulsion
Question: I have been in contact with Pierre Asselin of Canada for a couple of months. He has shown me a device that unmistakably defies the laws of motion. We are skeptical. We don’t know ‘how’, but what is clearly seen and measured is actually happening. If you are lucky, he may visit and show you his work. I cannot, because it’s not my right. It is his right.
Date: 14 September 2009
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 07/10/2009 02:26:36
 Loss of weight experiment.
http://www.padrak.com/ine/NEN_4_8_4.html

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hi Glenn,
Just wanted to let you know that I (finally) updated the website. All videos now are embeded from Youtube, so you should be able to see them all.

the link is:
www.netmomentum.net

Also, if you want to view the videos directly on Youtube, in larger windows, the link to my chain is:
http://www.youtube.com/APedro00,

Check it out and let me know your impressions.Your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pierre

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 08/10/2009 05:08:19
 THE MAXWELL WHEEL
In a very ruff guess I have the Maxwell Wheel weighing over 1 Lb. and having a diameter of 4 ½ ” and a rim with of .¾”. Again, that’s a very ruff guess, but it is a much bigger than the wheels in toy gyroscopes. I think few of us would need larger wheels, because there are advantages in cost, construction an time in keeping out designs small. If I am correct in all of this, you can have these larger, beautifully engineered wheels for twenty bucks each, plus shipping. If you can then motorize them and construct light weight frame designs and mechanics as you need and wish, then it seems you could never do better than these Maxwell Wheels at twenty bucks each.

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp?pn=3102600&cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Google-_-NULL-_-3102600&mr:trackingCode=33721735-DB81-DE11-8C0A-000423C27502&mr:referralID=NA&bhcd2=1254973412

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 08/10/2009 20:44:16
 MORE ON MAXWELL'S WHEEL

http://www.oberlin.edu/physics/catalog/demonstrations/mech/maxwellswheel.html

http://www.carolina.com/product/physical+science/physics/mechanics/maxwell%27s+wheel.do

Report Abuse
Answer: Sandy Kidd - 08/10/2009 23:32:06
 Hello again Glenn,
How are you doing?
That is very good information.
Your Maxwell’s wheels are very similar in weight, although slightly bigger (which could be an advantage) in diameter to the bronze wheels I used on my very first device.
I could not accurately gauge the diameter of the mounting shaft from the pictures on 2 of the sites I visited, but it may be possible to bore them to 5/16 of an inch in diameter, which is the smallest diameter (drill rod or silver steel) shaft I would use. I have sheared 1/4 of an inch diameter shafts in the past.
I suppose it depends a lot on what you have in mind for them.
I would suggest that they could be a very good buy for serious experimenters.
At that price they are a snip.
The maximum speed I ever rotated my wheels was about 14,000rpm, so you do not have to spin them at ridiculous speeds to get good results.
Also they will last for ever.
Regards,
Sandy.

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 09/10/2009 02:53:47
 Hi Sandy,

It really is good to hear from you. I’m quite alright and thanks for asking. Yes, the Maxwell’s Wheels are a great find. I've been thinking about you. After you cut off the shaft, how much of a trick is it to center your punch mark, then drill out the precise center of the wheel? Do you have some advice and instructions?

I hope all is well and you are happy.

Best Regards,
Glenn

Report Abuse
Answer: Sandy Kidd - 09/10/2009 23:03:09
 Hello Glenn,
I assume the shaft is pressed into the wheel, I would doubt if it is in one piece, that would be making it the hard way.
Saying that if you drill and ream through the hole you have just removed the shaft from, the drill and reamer will follow the hole very accurately.
It all depends on how you intend to mount it, on a shouldered shaft for example, would help a bit.
Your only problem is ensuring that the wheel is sitting absolutely square and flat on your drilling machine table.
I personally would mount it in a 4 jaw chuck in a half decent lathe and true it up using a dial indicator. Then bore it to size.
Maybe better going to a toolroom or machine shop and get someone to do it for you if you do not have the equipment.
Would still be worth the cost of getting it done.
All the best
Sandy

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 10/10/2009 01:40:20

Thanks Sandy. I will use the information. Stay happy whenever a chance occures, Glenn.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products