Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

19 April 2024 01:07

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Ravi
Subject: Whats happening?
Question:

This video demonstrates two experiments. The only difference between the first and the second is that in the second, the wheels are spinning at a large RPM.

Given that information, what does it mean that when the wheels are spinning, the oscillations are smaller?

To start off, I say that the oscillation is smaller (even though the torque is the same), because some of the energy has been pushed into the vertical plane.
Date: 8 January 2010
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 08/01/2010 21:55:48
 Dear Rive,

Allow me to think of the oscillations as the whole body’s and frame wobbling on the floor. This should not happen if both sides of the wheels, motors and their entire parts are equal in displaced mass and outward alignment from the axis. If all these were equal the operation should be smooth without wobbling. Professor Laithwate gives such an example and explanation with an electrical drill turning a offset crank.

When the wheels aren’t rotating an interesting thing happens. As the device is rotated clockwise there is little wobbling, but when it is rotated counterclockwise there is greater wobbling. I don’t have a decent idea why this is so.

When both, the wheels are rotating and also the device is rotating at a slow speed the same as above seems true. However then the device is rotating at higher speed the clockwise and counter clockwise wobbling is about the same. One wonders why.

I could guess that you have reversing gears or cams that might be offset somehow to cause the disparity, but that is a rather wild guess and I don’t know how it might work.

You say, “To start off, I say that the oscillation is smaller (even though the torque is the same), because some of the energy has been pushed into the vertical plane.”

If I understand, I still cannot see why there would be a disparity in wobbling, whether the device is rotating clockwise or counterclockwise. As to the energy being pushed to the vertical, I understand you. However I think the spinning wheels will attempt to either rise or lower depending on which way the device rotates. Also, I think this energy is in the form of torque or twist, top inward and bottom outward, or vice versa depending again of which way the device is rotated. Therefore since the energy is a twisting force containing no additional mass or mass alignment distance difference, I think the answer lies more in an imbalanced device rotation system.

Sorry I could not be definite about anything.

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 08/01/2010 21:57:38
 Dear Ravi,
Sorry about misspelling your name.

Report Abuse
Answer: Ravi - 13/01/2010 19:13:21
 Thank you Glenn!
Please take a look at the newest video.
Your feedback would be appreciated!

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info