Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

20 April 2024 12:53

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Luis Gonzalez
Subject: A Recipe for 21st Century Inertial Propulsion
Question: [ D = A*X*Y / r*w ] can be more concisely expressed in the following Iconic format:
D = AXY/rw

Angular distance "D" is equal to Acceleration "A" times ratio-"X" times ratio-"Y"..., divided by radius "r" times angular velocity "w".

Radius "r" and angular velocity "w" belong to the gyro flywheel (should not be a surprise).
Acceleration "A" belongs to the tilting toque (perhaps obvious).
"X" is the ratio of Torque-'d Mass (M) to Flywheel's mass (m) -- i.e. "M:m = X = M/m"
"Y" is the ratio of Torque Radius (R) to Flywheel's radius (r) -- i.e. "R:r = Y = R/r"

Distance "D" is the "drop" angle traveled during precession's acceleration from zero to max steady precession velocity. This angle "D" is traversed by "torque-deflection", before Sandy's "Saturation" effect takes effect. During angle "D" there is plenty of mass to accelerate (even though equal and opposite reaction are also present). According to Sandy, once "saturation" takes effect the device cannot produce inertial propulsion.

We may scoff that even elegant equations can never create propulsion (including "D = AXY/rw").
Well... neither can "E=MC*C" create atomic energy!
I suppose the useful value of any math or physics equation is in the mind of the beholder.

Before I forget, my thanks to Harry K, whom on numerous occasions reminded me that angular momentum is the product of "angular velocity" times "moment of inertia" (not velocity times mass).

That said you may ask, what value to inertial propulsion does this (or any) equation offer?
Perhaps we should instead ask, how do we keep our inertial propulsion devices from becoming "saturated" (as Sandy explained, "saturation" is the nemesis to inertial propulsion)?

First off, (a)"STEADY precession/deflection" and (b)"saturation" are synonymous, thus we should aim to produce propulsion during segments that our devices are NOT producing steady deflection/precession, which occurs when the system is "saturated" (this is the first and most basic requirement on the road to inertial propulsion).

The simplified recipe [D = AXY/rw] should compel some to understand HOW angle "D" may be extended by manipulating "A", "X", "Y" and "w". Extending angle "D" amplifies the window of opportunity to produce the yet enigmatic inertial propulsion. "D" estimates the potential duration of propulsion for each cycle, depending on the dimensions of the device. It will be difficult for the gyro to deviate much from the figurative zero degree zone.

Equations are like riddles that can be used as tools to resolve issues; to some they only bring confusion. Each individual determines how to best take advantage of the facts they encounter.
Here is another interesting riddle... the much discussed models that use 2 opposing gyros CANNOT succeed in producing inertial propulsion...
Is anyone NOT surprised?

Regards, Luis G
Date: 17 January 2011
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Luis Gonzalez - 22/01/2011 01:30:31
 Sorry, found error in equation.
Will correct.
Regards,
Luis G

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>