Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

20 May 2024 16:45

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Joel Chauvot
Subject: High Powered Rocketry - Science Experiment
Question: I am helping my son do a science experiment. We are launching 4 identical 4" diameter high power rockets, each with 1, 2, 3, and 4 gyroscopes respectively. All 4 rockets will be finless. His theory is the rocket SHOULD go straight up and straight down. But we need help with 2 things. The first is access to any previous research or experiments of this type. Anyone know of any? The second is we need the inner mechanisms of higher quality gyroscopes. We've ordered some cheaper models and hope to convert them but it would be nice to find someone who has good quality ones they don't want anymore. The higher quality ones are very expensive. I work in a hospital and have salvaged 20+ battery operated high RPM motors that will operate the scope so that part is no problem. And we have all the rocket stuff and spares for accidents. If anyone can help us out, we would sure appreciate it. Thanks.
Joel (Dad) & Cory (Son) Chauvot
Chauvot@aol.com
309 Timrod Park Drive
Florence, SC
843-667-9297
Date: 8 March 2004
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: webmaster@gyroscopes.org - 10/03/2004 23:52:10
 As I guess you know there are two main easy ways to control the direction of a rocket with a gyroscope. You either use the gyroscope as a gyro-stabilzer or for fin directional control. Both have the same effect of controlling the rocket. A couple of people have contacted me regarding directional gyroscopes but not using gyro-stabilzers
on rockets. I would be very interested in the outcome and try to help you out.

One of the rocket teams I spoke to was http://www.mars.org.uk/ but I don't if they actually used gyroscopes in the end.

The 'toy' gyroscopes are not very good because they are not that well built and not designed for high speeds. You really need quite light gyroscopes at high rpms. That way you will get a strong gyroscopic force and yet
wont be much trouble for the rocket to lift. I think the super precision gyroscope would do the job if it can handle the acceleration forces. But I'm not sure if it will be too expensive for you.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products