Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

26 April 2024 21:12

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Chiel Ham
Subject: Speed calculation with a gyroscope
Question: In my math book I read that a sometimes a gyroscope is used to measure the speed of, for instance, a plane or a boat. But how does this happen?
I think it's possible to calculate the angel change, then minus the rotation of the earth (in degrees) and then time the circumference of the earth at that height divided by 360. Then you have the way in meters you flew in the time of this angel change. As I said, I'm not sure, so could you help me out?
Date: 16 March 2004
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: webmaster@gyroscopes.org - 27/03/2004 21:51:00
 Your basically right but it does get a little complex because you need two gyroscopes. One to look after the longitude and one for latitude. Then you have to cross reference the two readings. Then you need to take in account the earth is rotating and the gyroscopes are fixed in relation to space, so is detecting the earth moving. There has been many ways to tackle the problem. I would suggest picking up an old physics book on gyroscopes. Send me an e-mail and I give you a list of the books I have.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products