Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

20 May 2024 16:17

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: John Land
Subject: Electric Gyroscope for physics demonstrations
Question: I am looking for a 3 to 5 inch diameter gyroscope for physics demonstratons
Preferable a well balanced one that can be spun up by electric or run continuously electrically

Needs to be gimbled so it can so precession when weights are added

Found a picutre of one at http://www.physics.umd.edu/lecdem/services/demos/demosd4/d4-06.htm
but no idea where to purchase one.

A mechanically spun gyro would work but needs a coast time of at least 10 to 15 mins

We are a high school so budget is limited.

Thanks John Land
Date: 30 April 2004
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: webmaster@gyroscopes.org - 31/03/2004 14:05:00
 Many thanks for bringing that to everyone's attention.

I've just had a quick look through the patents and could only find Wood 5256942 that is
close to that layout (but the layout does seem familiar some how).

I would also love to know whether it has been built and tested. I've had gyroscopes in configuartions such as Figure 4a/4 + Figure 3/3b and everything seem to conform to how it should do. From just briefly browsing through the doucments I can't see how it works but will be having a proper read later.

Report Abuse
Answer: DaveS - 05/04/2004 10:28:00
 I think it is a very poorly done Spoof. At some stage this site will probably be modified to ask for money.
If it works, great but I don't think so.
There is nothing new here and this site has been about for a while now. Maybe i'm reading this wrong but the claims are for a device using electromagnetic effort and then it talks about torque effects. Whole thing is made using their "own special equipment" and does not use fuel yet apparently they use electricity.
Could be proven wrong but i believe this is total b****x.

Drive vs Propulsion??? What's that supposed to mean. Will waste no more time on this.

DaveS

Report Abuse
Answer: Nitro Mac Mad - 12/04/2004 15:12:00
 Dear Ram,

Thanks for reminding me of Mr Berne's site. I had come across it before but he had no descriptions before. The descriptions confirm my belief that he is on a dead-end path of his own. As far as I understand things; placing rotating masses on a see-saw (albeit on its side) will produce nothing useful - even if the masses are accelerated and decelerated "at the proper time". The later addition of gyros muddy the waters but not enough to stop me from recommending he seek another path.

Mass must be accelerated to get propulsion. The trick is to get the reaction to that acceleration to be equal (we are not into overunity - yet) but not opposite.

However I have, I am sure you will be pleased to know, found "ONE THAT WORKS"! Thanks must go to that receptical of all things close to (or indeed way-way over) the edge:-www.rexresearch.com/inertial/inertial.htm

Near the bottom is the US patent 2639777 of the wonderfully named Marshal L Dulls. It promises to offer the bonus function of removing any of ones unwanted (or indeed wanted) fillings from your teeth while - (alas not producing space drive but - that other current impossibility) parking your car.

Kind Regards

NM

Report Abuse
Answer: DaveS - 16/04/2004 13:15:00
 Dear Nitro,

That's funny.

Rexresearch is a good site though.

DaveS

Report Abuse
Answer: webmaster@gyroscopes.org - 01/05/2004 00:01:10
 The one you have been looking is a old MITAC gyroscope which I think was designed by someone in MIT and built by the 'spark' compnay (something to do with Ford or GM).
I've seen them on auctions and the price can be anything from $100 to over $1000.
A week or so ago someone wanted a few hundred dollars just for a broken one! (which I thought was silly).

The super gyroscope at http://www.gyroscope.com/ maybe of interest. it comes with a electric motor. Its not going to spin for 15 mins under its own power but the motor can be left connected.

There is a much bigger one that will go on sale in in a month or so but I don't think it will fit into most high school budgets.

Hope this helps.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products