Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

19 March 2024 10:58

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Don Thornton
Subject: countersteering on a motorcycle
Question: Greetings. I studied gyros in Navy Radar school. There were gyroscopic rules or principles, but I don't have them written down anywhere. Does anyone have them written down?

Also, I am a 59 year motorcycle rider. One of the above rules applies to what is called countersteering, on a motorcycle. When the front tire reaches a high enough speed of rotation, and you want the bike to turn left, all you have to do is put pressure on the left handlebar. That rotates the gyro(front wheel) clockwise, or to the right.. This clockwise rotation cause the front tire to lean to the left, which translates to a left turn on a motorcycle. For a right turn, apply pressure on the right handlebar and the bike leans to the right, translating into a right turn. Can anyone fill me in as to what rule this is? One can actually steer a motorcycle with the tips of the fingers.If enough sudden pressure is applied the rider can actually cause the motorcycle to go clear down to the ground on either side. The motorcycle has no choice but to respond to this gyroscopic principle. It just follows the force applied to it by the gyro, or front tire rotaing in the forward direction.

Thanks for this forum.
Be blessed, DT
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Patriot Guard Riders, East TX
Date: 23 November 2011
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

• No answers yet
  • Add an Answer >>
    Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
    Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products