Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

29 March 2024 01:07

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Glenn Hawkins
Subject: PRECESSION IS NOT LIKE ROTATION & REVOLUTION
Question:
I said that centrifuge in rotation should have been named, 'Resisting A Bent Force' and that when centripetal force ceases, centrifugal force ceases as well, but without causing an after effect.

Precession is not rotation, It is not revolutions. Precession is a unique condition. It is a force derived from the pressure of bend forces beginning from right angles, but incredibly it actually acts and causes continuous movement. It is real while acting, yet ceases to cause an after effect. And..... people thought we were crazy. No wonder.
Date: 7 January 2012
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Luis Gonzalez - 05/02/2012 04:00:49
 Glenn,
I appreciate your comparison regarding the lack of after “Effect” when centripetal & centrifugal (C&C) forces cease, and how precession is similar in that it also has no after “Effect” when it stops.

It is interesting that when C&C forces stop it allows the linear motion to proceed. I wonder if something similar does not also occur in the case of precession, albeit in a somewhatdifferent manner.

Many Regards,
Luis G

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 06/02/2012 08:29:52
 How interesting!

“It is interesting that when C&C forces stop it allows the linear motion to proceed. I wonder if something similar does not also occur in the case of precession, albeit in a somewhat different manner.”

You are right and motion continues as if nothing happened, except the direction is changed.

Similar to precession? I think so, except that unlike the C&C condition, energy has been (used-up?) to lift and hold the gyro. Where the energy goes when precession ends I do not know. It is confusing as we are taught that energy is never lost.

Still it is easier for me to think in turns, that energy is absorbed by the strain of precession against gravity. And when precession ends gravity takes over as if nothing had happened. Everything is as it was, just as when C&C ends, motion is as it was. And just as precession ends, gravity pulls the gyro down as you point out and just as it was.

Good post Luis. Nobody had seen it this way.

Many regards,
Glenn

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 23/02/2012 05:40:42
 Hi my darling fellow special people. I thought about resurrecting my old design. Guess what. I Don’t remember all of it, but most of it. I think I will build the blasted thing before it is too late. I doubt it works. I just hope I can keep on trying till I remember everything.

Report Abuse
Answer: Luis Gonzalex - 26/02/2012 21:38:34
 Hi Glenn,
What equipment do you have access to?
It would be great if innertial propulsion were Made in America.
Best Regards,
Luis G

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 26/02/2012 22:57:23
 A message for Luis 'G' from Tennessee.

I'm very glad to hear from you Luis. I own quite a unique sets of gyros, cranks, water, saucers, traditional, some with lights etc. I have the rusting ruminates of experimental past efforts. Now then—I don't really have anything worth while, you see. Sandy has all the real deal stuff and Ravi has his good tops-turvy whorly. My wife used to call my experimental stuff 'Whorly-Burg' She was one of those people good at making up wonderful, fun manes for things. The short answer is, I don't have much of anything.

I was glad to hear from you, because in the last few days I've been thinking of actually doing my one and only THING that might work, still with somewhat limited confidence have I. It's very complicated. I can't located my old plans yet and may never. I remember some important parts and functions, but not all. I stop and struggle with the memory and reasoning of what it was and how it worked. I'll think it out again eventually - maybe soon. I might build it yet yet. I will show you how with video whether it works (IT RALLY MIGHT), or not as I go along in stages. None of us can take it with us, you know, when the grim reaper comes- but I'm pretty healthy, but who knows. So, it was good to hear from you. It gives me jolt sort of to get on with it. Thanks.

Now then what are you up to? Have you found any proof beyond what we've known and talked about?

Best Regards,
Glenn

Report Abuse
Answer: Luis Gonzalez - 28/02/2012 21:41:35
 Hi Glenn, Thanks for the response. I am snowed under with work but will eventually respond.
My design has an expected degree of complexity considering the goal.
Fortunately, after much thinking, I have managed to simplify the mechanics, so that many of the components may be fashioned from common items (some from items that we normally trow away). I took a page from Jery Voland on this approach.

The most complex and costly items my devise uses are bearings, a variety of motors, some electronic sensors, and a microprocessor to coordinate the timing of the multiple components.

Best Regards,
Luis G

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 29/02/2012 00:53:38
 Luis 'G'
From what you've written I would say you are on top of it, ( the items). I found it difficult to use common objects though all their use at first seemed perfect. But some I found were very right. I never finished. Let me know if I can help if it is only to encourage you.
Regards as always, Glenn

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products