Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

11 May 2024 16:47

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: sh.yazdani
Subject: power equation
Question: If is it possible to get power, more than the given one with a system using gyroscopes?
Date: 10 April 2004
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: webmaster@gyroscopes.org - 10/04/2004 21:02:00
 if your asking whether its possible to get more power from a gyroscope than what you have put in to spin it then the answer is no. However you can store large amounts of energy in gyroscopes/flywheel for short periods of time. Of course you lose quite a bit of energy along the way.

Report Abuse
Answer: Nitro MacMad - 12/04/2004 14:22:00
 Dear sh.yazdani,

Our Webmaster is correct as usual but one should always add "as far as we know at the moment" to any statement based on our current understanding.

While I have to agree that it is unlikely that understanding more about gyros will lead to "over unity", "perpetual motion", "free energy" (call it what you prefer) there are (remarkably, as we tend to think we know eveything there is to know) several anomallies to do with gyrodynamics that have not been (to my satisfaction at least) fully addressed.

The lovely Laithwaite brushed briefly against one such anomally when he stated that a (precessing) gyro "appears" to exibit no inertia and then sadly publicly displayed a machine that failed to incorporate his own learning - I guess that even the great can stand too close to focus.

A demonstration of this effect (though slightly different to the lack of centrifugal effect that he was talking about) can be carried out with a toy gyro set to precess around its "Eiffel tower".

Upon release the gyro moves around the tower. Nothing strange there then. Well yes! Actually several things, but so that this doesn't drag on too much let's take one thing.

Put a stop frame camera on the process (or even watch carefully) and you will see the gyro go from stand-still to its terminal precessional velocity instantly.

To acheive instant accelleration you need infinite input energy (I only see gravity acting on a gyro's mass) or zero mass (remember the only actual input from the gyro is tiny bearing loss) or an amomally.

It isn't possible as I said at the beginning "as far as we know at the moment".

Kind Regards

NM

Report Abuse
Answer: Ram Firestone - 13/04/2004 14:50:00
 I've heard it actually is possible (although I’ve never tried it) but you aren’t getting the power from the gyroscope itself. Theoretically you can tap a gyroscopes precession caused by the earth’s rotation to drive a generator. There are a couple of problems with this however. First you have to get enough energy back to keep the gyroscope going and still supply some useful energy. Secondly you will need some device to bump your gyroscope slightly off axis when it aligns itself with the earth axis so it keeps precessing. The final problem is that you are stealing angular momentum from the earth. So if this method of power generation ever got popular, over a long time the earth’s rotation might slow down significantly. I’m not sure this last problem is something to worry about however.

Ram

Report Abuse
Answer: Mike - 13/04/2004 21:52:00
 We have managed to use a gyroscope with very dense mass to aid in the continuing motion of a perpetual motion - free energy machine. The machine uses a rotating arm an electro magnet several switches and a capacitor to keep the arm in motion and to produce enough electricity to light a diode. the gyroscope aids in getting the arm over the 0 gravity point in the upward swing of the arm but the gyroscope does not provide more energy then it is given it only aids in supplying a minimal amount of inertia to the arm. The downward swing of the arm gravity and a number of gears supply increasing energy to the gyroscope in the event that the arm reaches a point in it's upward swing where the magnetism and the speed of the swing are not enough to get the arm one degree over top dead center the energy stored in the gyroscope is used and the process begins again. But in all of our efforts we have not found that the gyroscope can be made to produce energy.

Report Abuse
Answer: DaveS - 16/04/2004 13:01:00
 Glad to see you are still here Ram.
In response to your statements. You are not a million miles off in your understanding. Only last week i was involved in a discussion relating to the effect of gyroscopic propulsion and its interaction with the Earth. I believe that one of the next "green " issues will be in relation to slowing down the earth. This is not as far fetched as most would believe. Especially if everyone starts using gyro related technology and the natural advent of supra high spin gyros.
Sounds like science fiction today.
Also comes back to my earlier question relating to gyroscopic propulsion and changes in gravitational centre or ratcheting effects. Space drive or not?

In answer to the question; Perpetual motion is in theory not impossible when the Earth acts as the power conduit but take the same device away from interference from other masses and then i'm not so sure. There has been some interesting work done with magnets but even these lose their magnetism over time.

DaveS

Report Abuse
Answer: aliasNIGMA - 13/06/2004 00:58:48
 For the record I have a very weak understanding of gyrodynamics.

Some of you have conceeded that it is possible to say get a gyro moving and keep it moving... I wont bother to mention any particular method.

The Electronics Engineer in me says... why not strap some magnets to the rotating thing and make it drive some current that way?

Not strong enough? Why not get bigger magnets?

Some of you might have been thinking this but rotating magnets is the only way I can think of other then chemically to generate electricity.

Heck if this thing was in space it would probably be extremely efficient.
Prolly be a good idea for say, a space station or a spacecraft or satellite.

Thats my best try at the subject.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products