Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

16 April 2024 22:24

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Nitro MacMad
Subject: What else? The third law!
Question: Hi shed dwellers,

Just figured out how the forum posts work again - what a dummy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfyJbAP1cR0&context=C35a930cADOEgsToPDskLVlol4QIySgo4bYw7skwi9

This link shows an early prototype step on the path to developing a machine to push in space (or anywhere else) without the need to push against something or to chuck things away - like hot rocket exhaust. In theory it could run on (comparatively) never ending photovoltaic electricity. It seriously questions Newton’s third law of motion and idea of the conservation of linear motion. As you will see, it shoves a weight in one direction in complete disregard of the predictions of the third law. Just to be really naughty it also messes up the law of conservation of linear momentum.

The mechanism (the whole machine) that does the shoving does not react and move in the opposite direction as predicted by the third law but instead, after some perturbation, moves in the same direction that it shoves the weight. Eric Laithwaite was so close, bless him for his efforts to open minds but, as I did in the beginning, I think he forgot that gyros act as if they have no mass in precession and so a separate, independent, mass has to be incorporated in the mechanism, and must be moved, for it to work. This is the latest and perhaps strangest Jogglevision video so far. It is from an eleven year old 8 mm video I just found that I thought I had lost forever.

Mad or genius? Don’t worry if you don’t understand this.

Love and laughter

Date: 1 March 2012
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

• No answers yet
  • Add an Answer >>
    Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
    Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products