Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

25 April 2024 07:00

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Ravi
Subject: Videos of New Experiments
Question: Hey guys, Check out the latest videos on my blog:

http://relmachine.blogspot.com/

Adding a small third wheel on top of the frame did NOT change the behavior of the prototype.

Adding a large third wheel on top of the frame DID change the behavior of the prototype.

What does it mean if the small wheel on top didn't change the behavior of the prototype but the big wheel did?

Anyone?
Date: 9 March 2012
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 11/03/2012 14:57:56
 Hello Ravi,
The configurations of the first and second video seems to be exactly the same. The horizontal top wheel looks to be the same size in both clips. What is the difference, please.

I have some guesses on how the apparatus is stabilized by the top wheel and why the blue wheels rotate faster around the hub. But please answer the above question before I step off the deep end, which means as we have a saying, “Put my foot in my mouth.”, which means F-up.
Best Regards, Glenn

Report Abuse
Answer: Luis Gonzalez - 12/03/2012 01:23:14
 Hi Ravi,
The larger flywheel increased the stability of the device. I don't see much beyond that.
Knowing the weights of all the different components can provide the necessary information to predict how much stabilization is sufficient. Especially important is the relative mass of spinning flywheel to all non-spinning components of gyro-Frames (including peripherals).
I am probably just missing something because the visual results appear predictable.

I wish you success (though, as I have said before, I don't expect that type of device to create sustainable propulsion, much less to lift off).

Regards,
Luis G

Report Abuse
Answer: Ravi - 12/03/2012 14:49:29
 Glen,
Presuming you are referring to expt 6.1's video:
The video of the experiment has two separate clips, lets call them part (a) and part (b).
As the storyboard immediately preceding each video says, part (a) consists of an experiment where the spins of the two wheels are reinforcing each other at the beginning of the experiment. i.e. if you made a thumbs up sign with your right hand, such that the thumb points in the direction of angular momentum vector and the fingers curl in the direction of rotation of the wheel, then provided you used two right hands making thumbs up signs both would point in the same direction. For part (b) of the experiment, at the beginning of the experiment, the two thumbs would point toward each other.

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 12/03/2012 21:32:35
 Gush, I only ask some questions Ravi. Still, I will try to help you. Try to stay humble.
What do you mean, “. . . an experiment where the spins of the two wheels are reinforcing each other at the beginning of the experiment. i.e.”?
How do they reinforce one another?
What force are they reinforcing against?
Why advantage is in reinforcing one another?
Why is this reinforcing only at the beginning?
What do you mean “i.e”.
Translation of i.e. means- and so forth- such as- and so on-- therefore—for example?) Such as what?
“. . . if you made a thumbs “up” sign with your right hand, (“UP”. THIS IS VERTICAL) such that the thumb points in the direction of angular momentum vector (AS RELATED TO THE VERTICAL, THIS IS THE ANGULAR MOMENTUM VECTOR OF THE HUB AND CRADLE-- NOT THE WHEELS)
and the fingers curl in the direction of rotation of the wheel, (THE WHEELS ROTATE IN THE VERTICAL PLANE. THE WHEELS ANGULAR MOMENTUM VECTOR WOULD BE HORIZONTAL- NOT VERTICAL) then provided you used two right hands (I ONLY HAVE ONE RIGHT HAND. I AM NOT FROM INDIA- KIDDING YOU) making thumbs up signs both would point in the same direction. (THERE IS THE UNFORTUNATE CAUSE OF THE WOBBLE)
For part (b) of the experiment, at the beginning of the experiment, the two thumbs would point toward each other. (THIS IS WHAT YOU MEANT TO SAY--- AS IT REPRESENTS THE ACTUAL CONDITIONS BEING DEMONSTRATED.)
Work on your explanation, please.
From what I gather, from what you said at the end, this is what is happening. While one wheel attempts to curve down into gravity and inward toward the center of the bottom of the hub, the other wheel attempts to curve up away from gravity and inward toward the center of the top potion of the hub. (THANK OF A PRACTICE TARGET WITH GRADUATED CIRCLES) Viewing it vertically, the wheels attempt to move to the center of the target, (THE BULL'S EYE) but of course they are not allowed to. Still they try. The wheels attempt to curve inward, one up, one down.
This cause the entire cage to attempt to tumble over and over, but at each degree around the horizontal, the ends that would tumble are advanced causing uneven applied and opposite applied force while revolving. This is what causes the wobbling. That is all I can fathom, wobble, wobble, wobble with no possibility of lift.
Sandy Kidd's apparatus operates differently, in such a way as to seek to lift itself, as BOTH wheels would rise, unlike the action your experiment produces. Each of his wheels rotates upwards from the rear and downwards from the front. Both would lift.
To answer your question concerning the addition of larger rotating vertical wheels. Gyroscopes have been used to stabilize for a long time, even ships. The heavier, larger circumference wheels spinning at the same speed produce greater stabilizing force and reduce the wobble, or wave.
If you measure the waves of motion the wheels travel in you will find the greater the waves, deeper troughs and higher crests, or bigger wobbles, the further the distance the wheels travel as they revolve around the hub. Reduce the wobble to reduce the distance to increase the RPMs. That is what happened.

My Best Regards,
Glenn

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products