Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

25 April 2024 20:15

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: R
Subject: orientation
Question: Hi, I need to ask a question about the orientation of gyroscopes and what is possible.
It's easier to explain my question by reference to a diagram, but I'll have a go to explain in words what I'm trying to achieve below. I'm not an engineer so please allow for this when reading my question. Here goes...

I have a phone ap which requires a gyroscope to work, but it needs the gyroscope to work in a 3D world.
That is, the phone can de held in all possible positions and angles by the user, front Of The Phone (OTP) facing the suser, back OTP facing the user, side OTP facing the user, bottom OTP facing the user, fiull 360 movement etc.
Regardsless of which position faces the user, the gyroscope will know which way is up because of gravity.
But how can it now which way is TRUE left as determined by the user's position?
Does that make sense?
If I hold the phone top-side up with the screen facing me (in the standards position), and I move the phone unit left the app reads this as a left movement, which is correct.
Imagine I flip the phone physically so the back of the phone faces me, surely the internal gyroscope gets confused. When the user moves the phone to his left the gyroscope thinks its moving right?

Similarly, if I rotate the phone in my hand so the phone case is physically horizonal, with the front of the phone pointing to the ground, then if I move the phone out to what I percieve as the left (and keep the horizontal style unchanged) the app will read this as movement down?

Is this how it works, and is there a solution?
Thanks
R
Date: 12 April 2012
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: d brown - 06/08/2019 13:00:19
 everything is in the programming except the impossibility of reading left movement. there has to be a twist.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products