Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

26 April 2024 15:02

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Blaze
Subject: Calculating the "Drop" Distance
Question: The following is a simple first approximation of the Drop Distance that occurs during the Drop Time when an overhanging gyro starts precessing from a dead stop. This is a first approximation only. To accurately calculate the total drop distance one would very likely have to use integration.

distance = (acceleration x time squared)/2 or d = (at^2)/2

For a drop time in a small gyro system of, say, 10 milliseconds, where ‘a’ = gravity, applying the above formula, we get a drop distance of about 1/52 of an inch. Almost insignificant. However, as drop time increases (as it will in VERY large overhung gyro systems) the drop distance gets to be quite large. So for a drop time of, say ¼ second, we get a drop distance of about 12 inches. Just moving up to a drop time of 1/3 seconds gives a drop distance of about 21 inches. A drop time of ½ second gives a drop distance of about 48 inches. Very significant. (All calculations are assuming I have done my math correctly, of course.)

In reality, the drop distance would be somewhat less, perhaps even half of the distance shown in these calculations. This is because as the overhung gyro starts precessing, it creates an opposing up force which effectively reduces the effect of the down force and therefore reduces the acceleration of the mass (wheel) downwards.

Thoughts and opinions anyone?
Date: 29 April 2012
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Luis Gonzalez - 29/04/2012 05:09:20
 Blaze,
We know the distance equation is correct.
The correctness of the arithmetic is of no consequence either way (let someone else check it).
Your introduction of the opposing force, as precession starts accelerating, shows you have gone the extra-mile. I am also not sure how much resistance it creates (half is a good guess).

My Regards,
Luis G

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 29/04/2012 17:03:08

I am impressed. Almost no one I have encountered knows things, that I know, you know and are able to express ideas with easy clearly.

I am responding to support your secondary subject. I hope to initiated or reinforce your effort to build what you are thinking about.

After six or seven years of uncertainty and on and off again thinking, I have finally come to understand nature’s mechanics in logical, schematic forms and explanation. All that was mind boggling is actually not complicated once understood. I guess that is always true. With confidence I insist that powerful, oscillating and continuous inertial propulsion can be created. I am slowly recovering an old mechanical methods in design I lost in time. I may never get it all back for the design is complicated, but I’ve got enough though it's a little different.

It was my pleasure to have met you and my purpose to encourage you. Good luck and so long for a time.
Sincerely,
Glenn

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 29/04/2012 17:09:35
 HARRY, I AM IMPRESSED WITH YOU AS WELL. I DON'T KNOW IF THIS PLEASES YOU, BUT I HOPE SO.
GLENN,

Report Abuse
Answer: Blaze - 29/04/2012 17:59:27
 Well thanks Glenn. I appreciate that. You know, I did learn some of this stuff from what you and others have posted here over the years. Some of it I figured out for myself and some of it I read elsewhere.

I agree that it isn’t so complicated once you understand. When it comes to mechanical systems I have a saying “It is just SMS” (you might think that in this case it means Spinning Mechanical Systems but I generally think of SMS as more of Simple Mechanical ‘Shtuff’, you will have to “read between the letters” on that last word to figure out the real word) ;-)

Now, that is not to say that I have it all figured out. There is still at least one factor that I haven’t got my mind around yet or proved out yet, even as a thought exercise. I have a theory, but insufficient understanding to prove it. Unfortunately this theory and proof or disproof of it, applies directly to the project I am working on, so I have decided to just build it to see what happens.

Blaze

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 29/04/2012 18:37:59
 Blaze,
What you say is the exact what I decided, that there no way to know one particular thing so I would just build. Soon after beginning I found the secret answer hidden in a scroll of used toilet paper. . . so SMS you are right again : ). Our questions might have been the same. If so the answer is positive.
Glenn

Report Abuse
Answer: Ram Firestone - 08/05/2012 05:12:49
 Sounds like you are describing nutation.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products