Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

25 April 2024 16:42

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Glenn Hawkins
Subject: PARTS SEARCH
Question:
I have wasted a great deal of time looking for particular kinds of small flywheels so that I don't have to cut so much metal. If anyone knows what and where please let me know. All other parts are available. Only small usable flywheels elude me.
Glenn,
Date: 29 April 2012
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Blaze - 29/04/2012 17:31:54
 How small is small? Diameter? Weight? Does method of attachment matter?

Blaze

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 29/04/2012 18:23:11
 The physical properties may vary A LOT with certain constraints and I will adjust the other parts and forces to them. Generally, only generally, I look for a disk about 100mm OD and 10nn ID. The rim should be about 15mm x 15mm. The hub area should be about 30mm x 30mm. The area between rim and hub should be spokes, or partially cut-out and thin. I will need eight flywheels.
Weight is open. I will adjust. Method of attachment will be a shaft extending through both sides of the wheel. If I were designing for perfection I would use heavy metal at the rim and the aluminum that has three times the tinsel strength of steel for the rest of the wheel. I don’t need perfect or exactness.

Report Abuse
Answer: Blaze - 29/04/2012 18:37:23
 Well, I am sure you have already thought of this, but, v-belt pulleys come to mind. Actually flat belt pulleys would be what you are looking for, like the ones you would see on old thrashing machines, however, flat belt pulleys would be hard to come by. V-belt pulleys would be easier to get but you may have to use 2 or more side by side to get the effect you are looking for and you would still have some compromises. The great thing about using pulleys is you can get them with spokes and with various size center holes for the shafts.

The only other thing I can think of is heavy steel wheels. These are used in all kinds of applications, rolling shelving, machinery, carts for moving equipment, etc. Some of these wheels would be a solid cylinder with a hole in the center and some would have a thinned out section between the center hole and the outside of the wheel.

Don't know if that helps but it might trigger some other thoughts that may help.

Blaze

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 29/04/2012 19:48:58
 All that and more has been thought of and tirelessly investigated. You did get me to define the properties and nomenclatures, which I needed to set down. I will just buy a mini lath and cut the wheels myself and be done with it and at about the same cost my nearby machine shop would charge me for eight wheel. Plus I get to keep the lath.
Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: Blaze - 29/04/2012 20:21:02
 I have been thinking the same thing about getting a mini lathe. I agree that for the price of machining 8 wheels you will have paid for the lathe.

Good luck in your endeavors

Blaze

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 29/04/2012 23:19:11
 Now that I have my old protractors and tools out and am scaling parts again, I see that the wheel I described above is ridiculous. Ignore it.

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 29/04/2012 23:19:12
 Now that I have my old protractors and tools out and am scaling parts again, I see that the wheel I described above is ridiculous. Ignore it.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products