Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

23 April 2024 15:59

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Blaze
Subject: Measuring weight at the pivot
Question: I read somewhere in the forum that the weight or mass of a precessing overhung gyroscope has the effect of transferring the weight or mass to the pivot (don’t quote me on that, I am just going by memory). If that is so, one should be able to measure the weight by putting a scale under the pivot to measure this effect. The gyro would likely have to be something quite heavy to easily measure what is really happening; probably much heavier than one of the toy ones you can get online.

So, has anyone put a sensitive scale under the pivot of a relatively heavy overhung precessing gyroscope to see what happens?

Date: 2 May 2012
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 02/05/2012 01:08:31
 Hi kido,
We don't have to do anything. It is all cut and dried--it's understood. Deflections twist all the weight down on the piviot.
Glenn

Report Abuse
Answer: Blaze - 02/05/2012 01:28:04
 Thanks Glenn. Just verifying another piece of the puzzle.

Blaze

Report Abuse
Answer: Luis Gonzalez - 02/05/2012 04:04:51
 Blaze,
I dont know any one who has been able to perform a scale test of any sort. I don't think it is possible and the net weight actually does not change.
Regards
Luis G

Report Abuse
Answer: Blaze - 03/05/2012 01:56:42
 That the net weight does not change makes sense of course. If the shaft of the gyro was vertical directly above the pivot, (gyro spinning in horizontal plane) then of course all the weight would be held up by the pivot. When the gyro is precessing with the shaft is at 90 degrees to the pivot, all the weight is still held up by the pivot.

Report Abuse
Answer: Blaze - 04/05/2012 02:59:17
 ignore this post

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
--------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|