Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

26 April 2024 18:00

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Richard Urwin
Subject: "Flywheel Saturation Drive"?
Question: "Flywheel Saturation Drive"?

I wish to put an idea into the internet-ether for constructive critical review; after reading in depth the postings from Mr Sandy Kidd and preforming my own basic Gyro Tests. (I am sure that such a device has been thought of and perhaps tested)

The device is a classic twin horizontally opposed gyroscope system placed on arm spun around a center at high speed. The arms have large (twice the comparative weight of the flywheel) dead weights on the outside of the arms to help in aiding to the angular momentum of the arms when the device is spun around.

The device is really extremely similar in appearance to the device as seen on the propulsion page on this domain; however without a cam action.

"Flywheel Saturation Drive" in operation:-

The flywheels are spun up to required rpm until the opposed gyroscopes achieve saturation; where in the arms by virtue of the effect lift up by the flywheel move up to the center of rotation. This can be preformed by increasing the flywheel speed until saturation point is achieved.

At this point and after the arms risen to a 45 degrees angle; the rotation of the device is increased adding to the angular momentum of the dead weight on the ends of the arms; which should "in theory?" drive the arms back to their original position. (This is where I have entered my area of unknowns; as would the arms of the device return to their original position or would they accelerate faster in to the center of rotation?)

In operation the "Flywheel Saturation Drive" system of accelerating flywheels to new rotational speed and in turn accelerating arms to new speeds could be repeated in a stepped arraignment; stopping and started again to produces measurable a impulse action.

I hope my above description is clear enough?
Date: 10 May 2012
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Sandy Kidd - 10/05/2012 23:23:00
 Hello Richard,
Nice to see someone is doing some useful thinking.
However some time ago a person called Nitro MacMad propounded what he called at the time “Nitro’s First Law” which stated that a gyroscope will precess just about anything including the kitchen sink, well something like that.
Well that’s the way I translated it, and if I am correct then this is very true in this case and that if you are proposing mounting dead weights on the same arms as the gyros this will effectively present you, with a pair of rather inefficient gyros.
As you suggest this will tend to raise the saturation point somewhat higher than the gyroscopes would require, on their own, but the gyroscopes and weights will still function together as not so good gyroscopes.
At any angle of saturation, 45 degrees or any other angle for that matter any increase in the system rotation speed will only serve to increase the upward and inward acceleration of the gyroscopes and weights, which you suggested may very well happen.
As a point of interest it was experiments not dissimilar to your proposal which led me on to saturation and associated goodies in the first place.
Best regards.
Sandy

Report Abuse
Answer: Richard Urwin - 12/05/2012 11:57:37
 Hi Sandy,

Thank you for your comments.

So forget idea of a "saturation drive"; and keep the flywheels well below Saturation point; introduction a cam-ing/lever action; producing less/more angular momentum lwhile raising an lowering the flywheels?

Regards
Richard

Report Abuse
Answer: richard urwin - 15/05/2012 10:59:14
 the force is not up but down in the reverie direction!

Report Abuse
Answer: Ted Pittman - 27/08/2012 01:23:09
 I am not sure how Saturation has been defined in this forum.
However, my own experiments have suggested the following:
Structure = (1) a turntable of some radius; (2) a gyroscope suspended from the outer edge of the turntable.
The gyro is affixed to the turntable in a manner that allows it to pivot toward or away from the axis of rotation of the turntable. The,turntable has a hole that can allow the gyro to pivot 180 degrees (inverting).

Observation = spin the gyro clockwise and the turntable counter=clockwise. As you increase the rpms, the gyro will pivot INWARD and continue to pivot (with increased rpm) until it is totally inverted (180 degrees).

My question is what happens then if the rpms are continually increased? Why?

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products