Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

19 March 2024 03:18

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Bruce Danckwerts
Subject: Can I use a gyro to stabilize a single axis?
Question: I am interested in using a large gyroscope to stabilize a 25m spray-boom. If we allocate the X -axis to the horizontal direction of travel of the sprayer, the horizontal Y-axis is at right angles to this (and therefore along the line of the spray boom) and the Z axis will be vertical. I want to use an old flywheel (off a tractor engine) as a gyro, spinning around the vertical axis. Then the spray boom is fixed on a shaft allowing it to tilt about the X axis, but not to rotate about the Y or Z axis. The gyro now has to be linked to the spray-boom so that, when the sprayer moves over uneven ground the gyro keeps the spray-boom horizontal. What worries me is that, for a gyro to work, it must be free to precess (however slightly) and that this precess will allow the spray-boom to tilt about the X axis. Over the 12.5m span of the spray-boom this tilt could be significant. Also, if the gyro/spray-boom is subjected to a severe jolt (when the sprayer drives over a rut) I am worried that the gyro might be 'reset' to a new reference angle, and that the sprayer will continue with the boom now steady, but steady at the wrong angle.
Could anyone tell me whether this idea is definitely doomed or definitely worth investigating, before I invest any more precious time in it?
Many Thanks, Bruce
Date: 27 May 2012
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

• No answers yet
  • Add an Answer >>
    Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
    Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products