Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

23 April 2024 13:56

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Glenn Hawkins
Subject: The collision
Question: I had not intended to post, but I think I should report this:

I knew for years there was a hard blow to be had. Blaze found it earlier too. I went outside with no intention of fooling around with gyroscopes. But there I found a 9” disk I had made of ¾” plywood centered on a bearing centered on a 24” aluminum shaft. I selected a hand grander with a 4” rotating wire brush and put it to the collar of the wooden disk and flipped the switch. Later I looked at the tool's RPM rating. It was11,000.

I had not expected it to precess. Something would happen I felt, after all in was wooden and not balanced, but it worked great. The experiments took less than ten minutes, because the parts were ready made. The wheel kept crashing in to a big pasteboard box beside the trash can. Every blow was very hard, whether the shaft was free in my open hand, of tied from the string hanging there from earlier experiments.

I know what this means. It's nothing new. I saw no evidence of opposite reactions. Everyone can think what they choose. I know that whacking a box hard is whacking a box, is whacking a box. I need only to build and nothing more. I wish we didn't disagree so much, but I am glade we have the right to.

Glenn,
Date: 6 June 2012
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Blaze - 07/06/2012 01:16:09
 Hi Glenn. So, basically your experiment shows the same thing as mine if I understand you correctly. There can be considerable force when stopping a gyro precessing at a high rate of speed.

Cheers,
Blaze

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 07/06/2012 03:45:58
 Hi Blase,
Yes. There is potentially crushing force. It can be delivered in rapped succession. The more we add the more we get, provided we take it without hesitation. You proved it without my help. I just addlibed. What more can be said? I should know better than to ask that around here.

In the land of the blind a one eyed man is king. Sometimes he is king on this site too. Don't get aggravated with me boys.

I feel great. I just had a Best of the Best Margareta made by 'Jimmy' my bartender to my instructions. Do you know what that is Luis? Sometimes it is called Texas Margareta, sometimes Golden Margareta, but the way Jimmy and I do it if it doesn't start your legs to wobbling with gyros circling your head, you haven't lived.

Cheers to you Blaze and everyone,
Glenn

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products