Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

25 April 2024 05:46

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Momentus
Subject: String theory
Question: String theory

A weight suspended by a chord constitutes a free pendulum. As such it has properties which can be derived from Newton’s basic axioms.

The primary property is that the time for an oscillation of a pendulum is determined solely by the length of the pendulum. Horologists have used this fundamental property of the pendulum to create accurate clocks.

Given the length of a pendulum, the time of oscillation can be calculated, irrespective of mass. The pendulum swings, tick tock. The pennies added to the pendulum of Big Ben alter the centre of mass, hence the length of the pendulum to regulate the timekeeping.

As this is a gyroscope site you know what is coming next.

The period of a “Laithwaite Pendulum” is determined not by the length but by the speed of gyroscopic precession.

Dark Motion
A Thought experiment.

Two weights are separately suspended by flexible cords.

One of the weights is an inert mass, the other is a spinning gyroscope. The gyroscope shaft is extended to give a gravity couple.

The weights are each set swinging around in a circle. The parameters are adjusted so that both Masses (m) rotate about the vertical axis at radius R and speed (ω). Hence the same tangential velocity (Vt) and the same momentum p (m Vt)

There are now two masses moving identically, same period of orbit, same momentum, same tangential velocity, same mass, same gravity, same centripetal acceleration. I emphasise my point. Their motions are identical.

As this is a thought experiment, imagine that the length (L) of the cords is reduced.

The inert weight must speed up, to conserve momentum ”like a skater”.

The gyroscope continues to orbit at the same speed.

The motions are no longer Identical.

Basic Newtonian Dynamics explain the behaviour of the inert weight, can determine the precise and singular relationship between gravity, length, radius, inertia, centripetal acceleration and angle subtended by the cord.

This precise and singular relationship is not present in the gyroscope weight.

Having puzzled over this for years, I have developed the concept I call Dark Motion.

Dark Matter, Dark Energy and the Pioneer Anomaly all have one thing in common with the suspended gyroscope, an observed movement that does not fit. Everything looks fine until you examine the detail.

I believe Dark Motion offers an explanation for this anomalous behaviour of the gyroscope.

Momentus
Date: 22 June 2012
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

• No answers yet
  • Add an Answer >>
    Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
    Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products