Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

20 April 2024 08:29

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Blaze
Subject: The Five Motions of a Gravity Powered Overhung Gyroscope Precessing at Steady State
Question: The five motions are as follows:
1) RPM of gyro wheel (how fast it is spinning).
2) Horizontal ORBITAL motion of gyro wheel around the pivot. This is NOT the same thing as precession.
3) Precession motion around an axis that runs vertically through the center of the gyro wheel. This vertical axis is moving in a circle around the pivot as the gyro wheel orbits around the pivot. The gyro wheel precesses once around this axis every orbit.
4) Precession motion around an axis that runs horizontally through the center of the gyro wheel. This motion happens as the gyro droops.
5) Vertical ORBITAL motion of the gyro wheel around the pivot. This motion happens as the gyro droops and normally can only progress until the gyro wheel touches down on the surface supporting the pivot.

Motions 2 &3 are locked together and happen at the same rate. Motions 4 & 5 are also locked together and happen at the same rate. Motions 1, 2 & 3 are usually the quickest. Motions 4 & 5 are usually very slow.

Motions 2 & 3 provide one of the more interesting effects of a precessing gyro. The combination of motions 2 & 3 are why the arm stays on the pivot and theoretically provides little if any horizontal force during precession. Motion 2 is constantly trying to move the arm away from the pivot in a forward direction (same direction as the gyro wheel is orbiting) as was proved in the tree house experiment that I performed when the giant gyro was released. Motion 3 is constantly trying to move the arm away from the pivot in a backward direction (opposite direction that the gyro wheel is orbiting. These two motions happen at the same time and at the same rate so the pivot end of the arm stays right on top of the pivot.

Blaze

Date: 4 July 2012
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Harry K. - 05/07/2012 18:05:12
 ...and what are you conclusions?
Which movements are the cause and which movements the effect?
And why?
I know the answer, you too?

Best,
Harry

Report Abuse
Answer: Blaze - 10/10/2012 01:45:05
 Hi Harry. Yes I do know which are the cause an effect, however these 5 motions are more of an observation on my part about what is happening during steady state movement. The point is that all motions have to be taken into account if a device is to have any hope of success.

The last paragraph is the interesting part. It explains why there is no centrifugal or centripetal forces at work during steady state motion (neglecting the not spinning parts of course), but I don't think anyone understands it as I explained it.

Blaze

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products