Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

28 March 2024 17:41

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Nitro
Subject: A break in direction
Question: Dear all

A break seems to be needed,

You couldn't make it up!

I have always thought that people from small island communities tended to be very inventive. My Grandfather on the Scottish island of Mull invented one of the first radio receivers ever and housed it in the most beautiful hand made mahogany boxes – I still have the trumpet loudspeaker. Evidence of his inventive ability (though a total lack of “Health and Safety measures) to overcome the Mull’s then lack of electricity supply was still visible in the form of dozens of acid filled Leydon jars lining the edges of my loft bedroom when I was taken as a child to holiday in our ancestral crofter’s cottage. My father’s love of Guernsey I think was formed around his and Guernsey islander’s similar need to invent. As in the poverty in Scotland, this was probably driven by the lack of availability of almost everything which therefore created the necessity to invent and “make do and mend”.

Some times this Islanders inventive nature takes on the most perverse form; like an almost mad determination to seek out and follow the “less trod path” while disregarding the easy road straight ahead. One outstanding example of this made the front page of our Guernsey Press yesterday. It may not be your usual, run of the mill, inventiveness but its sideways path to achieve an end would have made Professor Heinz Wolf proud

A certain Matt Clark, it is alleged, burgled the Guernsey Aquarium. Some say he used to work there and may have retained a set of keys. Not a single pound note was missing from the premises and his break in might have gone unnoticed but for the observant eye of a rod fisherman. You see, Matt had stolen a very large Bass fish that was in the Aquarium and, unbelievably, he entered it into the Guernsey Bailiwick Bass fishing competition. Incredibly he won the £800 first prize. However, a fellow competitor had recently taken his child on a trip to the aquarium and pointed out to him the very large Bass in a tank to show his child what he would be angling for. He had noticed that the Bass had unusual markings. He later noticed that the winning fish in the Bass fishing competition had the same unusual marking and blew the whistle. Matt Clark appeared in the Guernsey magistrates court this morning charged with burglary and fraud. He has been bailed to appear again later this month. I suspect that the court had to delay proceedings because they couldn’t stop laughing.

Love and laughter and a happy weekend to everyone

NM

Date: 13 July 2012
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

• No answers yet
  • Add an Answer >>
    Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
    Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products