Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

3 May 2024 13:22

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: John
Subject: Strachan Patent
Question: This is the link to the Strachan patent. Scott is mentioned in the Sandy Kidd book as serious competition (and winning), the description shows a similar but in ways improved design, look at the worm gear in particular. Not sure if this has been in this forum before. The figure 4 drawing is mentioned in Kidds book as the Strachan device, as demonstrated by Scott in a Canadian conference, and sharing a little with the Geoff Russell patent. Scott recommended trying this design first, I did, it moved a bit, but very little force. I am of course building one with a better power/weight ratio but, and you'll love this for an excuse a Robin is nesting in my workshop and I cant disturb it too much!

I dont see this patent in Glenn's list either. Good site Glenn by the way.

Regards

http://gb.espacenet.com/search97cgi/s97is.dll?Action=View&ViewTemplate=e/gb/en/viewer.hts&collection=dips&SearchType=1&VdkVgwKey=GB2215048A
Date: 5 May 2004
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Nitro MacMad - 06/05/2004 22:42:24
 Dear John,

Wish I had a super excuse like your robin to explain my inactivities. I seem to be suffering from an inventors equivalent of writers block - hopefully the fear of vast impending patent fees will get me going again soon - fear of poverty seems to work with writers.

John Scott Strachans worm drive (54) is only a means of supplying input energy to the main shaft - or am I missing something.

John Scott Strachan in common with others seems to have been keen to head for the stars as his expected impulse is upwards. It would be a darn sight easier to turn the thing on its side, on as friction free base as possible, to see if there is any useable impulse, thrust, unidirectional force (call it what you will). If you follow his mechanism you will not produce any of the impulse etc.,etc., you seek. Hopefully by the time your robins have flown I shall be far enough down the patent path to have eased up on the inventors paranoia and show (and hopefully be acknowleged for finding) the two missing steps for others to play with themselves.

Thank you for drawing my attention to Mr Strachans efforts.

Kind regards

NM

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products