Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

19 March 2024 08:47

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Kysen Palmer
Subject: The physical transportation of energy
Question: I am new to the gyroscopes world, and am rapidly attempting to grasp some of the concepts which seem to be so simple, and yet they continually evade my grasp. While I am a young graduate student, I can tell from the depth of conversation here that I have waded into a much deeper intellectual pool than I initially anticipated. I have read through the documentation from this site, and am in the process of looking through the forums. I also have been doing as much research on my own as possible, and I still have several main questions.

What is the physical means of transferring the rotational energy in a gyro into rotational energy of another body when the gyro's axes are changed...? The experiment is laid out best in the following http://plus.maths.org/content/galloping-gyroscopes in the conservation of angular momentum section. I understand that the angular momentum must be conserved, as per the argument listed, but it is difficult for me to imagine a method for energy transfer of the angular momentum to your body from a gyro.

Secondly I was curious about the explanation presented here in the behavior section as to how the gimballed gyroscope actually acts. If it is truly held in the plane that is shown, and if the argument shown is true, the gyro would be continually accelerated due to the 1 N force. If this was the case, the gimballed gyro would spin around on the bearings until friction stopped them. I only question this because it seems to contradict some of the initial claims of the behavior. The axis of rotation ?resists? the change of position due to momentum. If this is so then the gimballed explanation makes less sense to me because it would not move in the fashion shown.

Finally I would like to know if there are any other resources (I like you all have found few) about HOW and WHY these physical transfers of energy and resistance occur and exist?

I have more questions, but these will suffice for my introduction to your forums.

Thank you so much for your time.

Cheers
Date: 28 September 2012
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

• No answers yet
  • Add an Answer >>
    Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
    Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products