Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

26 April 2024 13:24

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Glenn Hawkins
Subject: test results
Question: The generally accurate test results below, measured precession distance the wheel traveled, in relation to the distance and time it was tilted.

I used a special geared/belt pulley kind of gyroscope to help control the speed of the flywheel rotation for uniform testing; a laser light, a second increments watch, a mm ruler and a graduated ladder-like launch platform. In experiment B. extra weight has been added at the outside circumference knob for added tilt force.
1: tilt distance : 57 distance the wheel circled.

Experiment A. Ratio 1:57 (revolutions 15 to touch down) (time 22 sec.)
Experiment B. Ratio 1:83 (revolutions 22 to touch down) (time 22 sec.)

Yeah, I know it makes no sense. It is opposite to logic and to what was expected. Maybe we can eventually explain it. No negative interference from the pivot occurred in either test (actually many re-tests) until the flywheel was rotating at equally very slow speeds in both tests.
Glenn,
Date: 18 December 2012
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Harry K. - 22/12/2012 09:33:58
 Interesting. Could you provide a sketch of your test setup?
Harry

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 23/12/2012 18:13:04
 Hi Harry,
I am out of town for the holidays. I am in the sunny Gulf Islands where the water is warm and the palm trees are green. I wish you and your family were here with us. I must do more testing when I get back home. I know I have made an error somehow!

I will explain the SET-UP for experiments.

1.)Tape a ruler to the wall from floor level up.
2.) In front of it mount the gyro on its tower.
3.) Lift the outside gyro knob to the tilted height you want it then put something under it to hold it up.
4.) On the other side of the room place your $13.00 US dollar laser flashlight.
5.) Aim the beam to the ruler and keep putting spacers under the flashlight, until the beam intersects the top of the gyro that is held tilted up in front of the ruler.
6.) Spin up the gyro and lose it at this exact tilt and height.
7.) Remove the spaces from the laser flashlight, until the bean is moved down to the top of the wheel at its new location, but which is still in front of the ruller. Mart the light to the new ruler placement.
You can keep repeating this procedure for as many tests as you like.

TILT DISTANCE
The gyroscope will precess until it touches the floor and you will know the distance it has tilted from the laser light beginning at high mark on the ruler, to the gyro touchdown on the floor ruler mark.
PRECESSION DISTANCE
During the tilting count the number of revolutions and use pi.r.sq. to calculate the distance of the circumference and multiply that times the number of revolutions plus the partial.
TIME
Use the second hand on a clock to time the tilt from beginning to end.
ADD DIFFERENT TILT FORCES
Tape fishing lead weights to the outside knob as best you can.

Now we can have all the numbers we need to build reasonably close ratios. More later.

Have wonderful holidays, Harry and all and merry good cheers,
Glenn

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 26/12/2012 15:13:15
 Excuse me. C = Pi . d

The radius of a Tedco gyroscope from wheel to pedestal is 45 mm. The diameter then is 90mm. The precession circumference is 282 mm. The distance traveled then is 283 mm per revelation. There is a great difference between precession orbit distance, and tilt drop distance.

From this I believe one may continuously increase precession speed to great speeds by increasing both, angular momentum and tilting force in the ratios that can be be derived at by these simple tests.
Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 01/01/2013 15:24:12
 Yes. It is possible to create blinding speed in precession, period

Report Abuse
Answer: Blaze - 02/01/2013 01:01:11
 Hi Glenn.

"...I believe one may continuously increase precession speed to great speeds by increasing both, angular momentum and tilting force..."

By increasing angular momentum do you mean the rpm of the flywheel? If so, this will slow the precession speed. Increasing tilt force will increase the precession speed. So, for example, if you double the flywheel rpm and double the tilting force, the two cancel each other out and you have the same precession speed as before you doubled them. I don't see how this would help you.

Happy New Year,
Blaze

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 02/01/2013 07:38:24
 Hello Blaze,
Thank you for the perfect logic. I had always before believed it your way. Until I prove otherwise, you remain correct. I hope to finish all this eventually.

Happy New Years,
Glenn

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 04/01/2013 18:05:33
 Dear All,

Wrestling with the problems of how to test for the center of gravity rotation, verse the center of precessed rotation.

“Is it potable to remove or equalize table-to-pedestal friction to see what happens?”

1) Stuff the cavities of two pedestals with ice, weight them by a justice scale and the heaver should have it's ice shaved down, until they are equal in weight.

2) Set up a gyro on pedestal (A) ready to precess Tie a short string to the free floating knob.

3) On top of pedestal (B) tape an entire gyroscope, centered and not spinning. Tie the free end of the string to the pedestal (B). {A. knob is tied to loaded B. pedestal to be dragged during precession.}

If the gyro (A) is strong enough to pull the loaded pedestal (B) ?? This would not prove anything. Stop the freely/forcing coasting and it will cause a torque that was not there before on the gyro pedestal. When the free/forced coasting is removed, the magic is removed.

This test is a bust. So what if the friction has been equally countered? You see the dilemma I am in. Any other brilliant ideas Fellows? My brilliance is sucking wind. “Shueooo! Shueooo! Shueoo!” The brain sucker is empty.

My best to all,
Glenn

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products