Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

25 April 2024 15:15

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Glenn Hawkins
Subject: There is not a opposite reaction to releasing precession.
Question: The following was a discussion between Luis Gonzalez and Blaze

Luis Gonzales: “I found one of the presented concepts to be an interesting puzzle (which required a fair bit of thinking from my part to resolve). The basic concept is as follows:
A centrifuged mass travels in a direction TANGENT to the point of release, but the equal and opposite reaction would appear to occur in the direction of the centripetal force, i.e. at 90 degrees.”

Blaze in response:
"A centrifuged mass travels in a direction TANGENT to the point of release"
That is correct.
"but the equal and opposite reaction would appear to occur in the direction of the centripetal force, i.e. at 90 degrees."
Actually, I don't think that is what happens. The reaction IS opposite to the direction of the released centrifuged mass, but it is not co-linear. The reason there is an opposite reaction is because there is a barycenter between the two objects. The two objects are actually orbiting around this barycenter. Therefore both directions of travel are opposite to each other. It is like a force couple "in reverse", if you look at it in a convoluted kind of way.
The basic concept is as follows:
A centrifuged mass travels in a direction TANGENT to the point of release, but the equal and opposite reaction would appear to occur in the direction of the centripetal force, i.e. at 90 degrees.”

Glenn,
Hello,
I can see why the problem requires Luis to do some fair amount of thinking, for he answer is not so cut and dried.
Blazé, was correct concerning rotation. Then let us build a ‘thought machine’ involving rotation. We connect two balls to a shaft that we can electronically disengage in the center of the shaft at a distance. Then we whirl the device on ice to give it binary motion. Then we push the disconnect button and see the balls travel in equal and opposite direction, separated by Blaze’s BabyCenter.
However rotation is not precession. We are sure that centrifuge only works in one direction during precession. The pivotal area does not pull back oppositely. The result is that an alignment of forces in the acting wheel called ‘deflections’ direct the wheel to perform in closed, self-contained revolutions carrying the pivot support along with it. There is no hint of a binary action.
The situation is: The wheel’s centrifuge pulls only in an outward direction from the center. Angular momentum is forced to circle, without the aid of centripetal pulling the wheel inward to cause the pivotal mass to circle in the opposite direction.
When our thought machine disconnects at the precession shaft, certainly the wheel is freed from the alignment of odd forces that contained it and it flies off at a right angle to centrifuge. However, the light weight pivotal platform might as well vanish. Poff! (That is so strange.) I can not find an equal and opposite mass existing in the first place, nor in the second place any reason why the light weight pivot would move at all. I find no opposite reaction and that is the condition with which we have always hoped to produce internal force for propulsion.
Hint: Hitting the outside shaft with a hammer does not count, because as the wheel is being accelerated, equal and opposite reactions are occurring, but not during forced coasting. There is no opposite reaction at the time of release of any kind.
Lastly, we owe Blasé for the best look at this release action. When his wheel was released, the string did not move backwards.

An unrelated site.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKsUcD_ueS8
this is what happen to you if you play with gyros too much. Have fun : )
Glenn,
Date: 10 February 2013
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Blaze - 18/02/2013 17:42:49
 Hi Glenn. Just to keep the record straight, the following was not part of my response:
"The basic concept is as follows:
A centrifuged mass travels in a direction TANGENT to the point of release, but the equal and opposite reaction would appear to occur in the direction of the centripetal force, i.e. at 90 degrees.”"

regards,
Blaze

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 18/02/2013 19:17:20
 Hi Blaze,
The record was always straight, because you would never make that mistake. Actually you have correcting my thinking maybe a couple of times. I was glad to get the right of it. I notice that in your equations you too were quiet agreeably to changing them when it was rightly explained why it was necessary. That’s good. Our nature as humans is to argue to support our past statements, often primarily only to protect our infallible personalities. It is a wonder we humans can get anything done. Kemosabe.
Cheers,
Glenn

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products