Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

25 April 2024 21:05

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: alok mishra
Subject: working of laser gyro
Question: i would like to know the basic theory of working of a laser gyro
Date: 28 May 2004
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: nano - 10/09/2004 15:49:34
 laser gyroscopes - one technique, anyway - is to split a single beam, polarize them 180 degrees in opposite directions, send them the same distance (around a ring, for instance) and then have them interfere w/ eachother, noting the interference pattern (w/ a ccd)

the concept is that light moves (ever so slightly) faster along one beam than the other due to motion, and that difference can rather easily be measured by changes in the interference pattern.

this is what i remember from well over 15 years ago - things may have improved since then, but i believe even miniaturizations are based on this effect.

cheers

Report Abuse
Answer: webmaster@gyroscopes.org - 11/09/2004 14:49:49
 Out of interest, does anyone know if these are being widely for any application. It seems
ring laser gyros have been talked about a lot but are very rarely on the market.
Has there been any reason why they have not replaced mechanical gyros?

Report Abuse
Answer: Chuck - 21/09/2004 15:37:01
 Large commercial aircraft, and I am sure military aircraft, use them to measure pitch, roll and yaw rotational rates. They have replaced mechanical gyros in new inertial navigation units and inertial reference units.

Report Abuse
Answer: Luis Prill Sempere - 20/01/2005 22:15:21
 what about the quartz gyros? I am working on a smaller optical gyro with similar sensitivity, but I found at Systron Donner even smaller quartz ones.
Can somebody tell me, if they are worse than actual optical ones and what actual optical ones cost?

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products