Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

29 March 2024 08:10

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Nitro
Subject: Happy New year
Question: Dear Gyronauts,

As a break from our searching for the "impossible" I have put up a video here:-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNu7o35-Vtk

To wish you all love and laughter in the new year.

Nitro
Date: 30 December 2013
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 06/02/2014 21:00:45
 Nitro, my darling good and kind man and a smart one too; blessings to you and your family. I of course am Robin Hood. I wish I could instill a bit of appreciation for American humor. The way I try to use it is to be unobtrusive, gentle and very friendly and with brotherliness and a happy and kind smile. I hope to see you posting a lot this year. Please excuse my lack of civility in my effort to be friendly. I am your pal actually and glad to read you. Have a wonderful day and a wonderful year.
Robbie of Sherwood,

Report Abuse
Answer: dave brown - 15/02/2014 04:47:52
 Happy belated new year to all! :)
I have not been here since 2005; you may remember the name, or not. :)

I've seen my work somewhere else recently and here is my story:

Back when I worked on my design, I had it setup about 20 times, confident that it was rather sturdy for what I was trying to accomplish. It's true it was a bicycle wheel, rollerblade wheel, 1/4" socket breaker bar, a bit of welding, a large coffee can for the rollerblade wheel to run on, some extensions, and a few other parts inexpensively put together but, solid enough. Now every time I got the bicycle wheel spinning, started to help it in the direction of precession, and pressure started to build between the rollerblade wheel and the coffee can, you guessed it, it all broke apart and soon wound up on the floor in a mound of parts. haha well,
I recently purchased a powerball (I'm not advertising them) and yes, within 15 or 20 minutes I had it in pieces. hehe. And what I found inside was my design but, instead of using the center shaft to increase the RPM, I held mine at one end, with the rollerblade wheel between pivot point and bicycle wheel (gyroscope) and as the pressure increased between the coffee can and rollerblade wheel, I too was hoping to get it too speed up but, on its own.

Oh the delight I felt at seeing the core setup of my design being sold in a product thrilled me to no end, and will for many years to come; even though they have no idea who I am has no ill effect. :)

The beautiful thing that I realized is that the small powerball can give, according to them, 35lbs of force for working out the arms. Now imagine the size of MY setup with a 10 speed bicycle wheel... ...I now know why my design fell apart at the very start of things, there was so much force, especially on that little coffee can. hahaha BUT! It tells me I was right and if I had had the money for a better setup at the time, I might be Mr. Powerball today. hehe

I enjoyed my months on it in 2005 and am enjoying the thrill all over again now.

My best to all and,
keep spinning...
Dave. :)

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 16/02/2014 02:41:19
 I remember you Dave. I enjoyed the recognizing you from out of the blue from a long time ago. I'm glad you are having fun.
Glenn,

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products