Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

29 March 2024 12:35

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Gary D
Subject: Single person Supertron
Question: I've seen and ridden on an Orbitron (powered by the person standing beside the ride) and have seen two-person Supertrons, powered by the riders and a great workout.

Were there ever any single-person Supertrons made, where there is only one rider, and that person is powering the ride?

Thanks,

Gary
Date: 4 January 2014
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: SUSAN FUQUAY - 26/02/2014 04:13:29
 YES YES YES That is the ORBOTRON ! The "Man Powered Gyroscope" US Patent # 5046721
Also published as WO1992005848A1 the Inventor is William C. Altare

The youngest person I know who enjoyed my ORBOTRON Human Powered Gyroscope was 6 years old. He rode it at his 13 year old cousin's birthday party.
The oldest person I know who enjoyed my ORBOTRON Human Powered Gyroscope was 93 year old, Doctor Philip Birdick. You may have heard of him; in 2011 and 2012, he won the Phoenix 10k (for his age group).

According to the US Patent office, devices of this type were designed as early as 1906, and they were designed for both amusement and to be used for "invigorating and training of muscle complexes and for improving the sense of equilibrium of a person occupying the inner frame element".

This ORBOTRON Human Powered Gyroscope is activated by the Operator's body movement, sort of like standing up on a swing and try to make it move, by shifting your body weight. Because it moves on three axis (Roll, Pitch and Yaw), that is basically controlled by the Operator, there is no feeling of dizziness or motion-sick from this equipment.

The original Flyer for the ORBOTRON shows two people. The person referred to as the Operator is standing on the "Operator's Adjustable Platform" which is attached to the "Inner ring" of the ORBOTRON. The second person referred to as the Assistant is standing next to the ORBOTRON The assistant is useful to help the Operator adjust the "Operator's Adjustable Platform" (to adjust for the Operator's height,) fasten the shoe/boot bindings and to release and reset the "Rings Locking Bar" .

I am in the process of refurbishing my ORBOTRON, because I am moving into an apartment I must sell it and I want the next owner to be able to enjoy it worry free.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products