Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

3 May 2024 04:52

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Ram Firestone
Subject: Magnetic gears
Question:
I have to take back a bit of what I said in my previous rant :-) I sill think inertial/gyroscopic propulsion is probably impossible but I couldn’t stop myself from thinking about the problem and I’ve come up with another idea. Whenever I come up with a new idea the first thing I do is try to think of reasons why it won’t work. So far I’ve been pretty successful :-( This time I’ve been stuck for a few weeks so I think I may have to try something out again. In any case, does anyone know anything about magnetic gears? I’ve seen reference to them on the web but I haven’t found any place that sells them. I’ve found magnetic couplings all over the place but no gears. I might be able to test it with regular gears but since they will need to be spinning at gyroscopic speeds there would probably be a lot of friction.

Ram
Date: 2 June 2004
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Ken Gardner - 02/08/2004 01:54:23
 Here is a brief discription of magnetic gears http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/product.biblio.jsp?osti_id=268120
Electronic full text is not currently available.
Title Theoretical computations of the magnetic coupling between magnetic gears
Creator/Author Yao, Y.D.[Academia Sinica, Taipei (Taiwan, Province of China). Inst. of Physics]|[National Chung Cheng Univ., Chiayi (Taiwan, Province of China). Dept. of Physics]; Huang, D.R.; Wang, S.J.[ITRI, Hsinchu (Taiwan, Province of China). Opto-Electronics and System Lab.]; Lin, S.M.[National Chung Cheng Univ., Chiayi (Taiwan, Province of China). Dept. of Physics]
Publication Date 1996 May 01
Report Number(s) CONF-9507112--
Other Numbers IEMGAQ; ISSN 0018-9464
Resource/
Doc Type Journal Article
Resource Relation IEEE Transactions on Magnetics ; VOL. 32 ; ISSUE: 3 ; 10. conference on the computation of electromagnetic fields, Berlin (Germany), 10-13 Jul 1995 ; PBD: May 1996
Subject 24 POWER TRANSMISSION AND DISTRIBUTION ; GEARS; COUPLINGS; TORQUE; POWER DISTRIBUTION SYSTEMS; POWER TRANSMISSION; EQUIPMENT PROTECTION DEVICES; PERMANENT MAGNETS; COMPUTERIZED SIMULATION; MAGNETIC MATERIALS; FINITE ELEMENT METHOD; COMPARATIVE EVALUATIONS; TWO-DIMENSIONAL CALCULATIONS; THREE-DIMENSIONAL CALCULATIONS
Description/
Abstract Magnetic gears, which are constructed from a pair of cylindrical magnets magnetized with multipoles, can be used as both power transmitting and overload protection devices. Here, the torque of magnetic coupling with different magnetic poles has been investigated by theoretical computations with both 2D and 3D modeling processes of the finite element analysis. The torque can be increased by increasing the number of poles for magnetic coupling between magnetic gears with 2 mm separation distance, provided that the number of poles is less than 10. However, the torque is inversely proportional to the number of poles when its number is larger than 10. This phenomenon is explained by analyzing the magnetic coupling strength of different poles. The 3D computer simulations are in excellent agreement with the experimental values. The 2D computer simulations can be improved by a two magnetization vectors within a pole technique; i.e. by properly rotating the angle between the two magnetization vectors.
Country of
Publication United States
Language English
Format pp. 710-713 ; PL:
OSTI Identifier OSTI ID: 268120
System Entry Date 2001 May 04
I hope this helps Kg

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products