Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

20 April 2024 15:30

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Nitro
Subject: Reply for Blaze Re: Gyro on a string
Question: Dear Blaze,

Interesting observation.

I think that the original rotation of the gyro axis having its axial angle changed by being rotated on the end of the string would tilt the axial angle upwards. Having raised the axial angle upwards, the centrifugal force now trying to level the axial angle will cause a precessional change of the axial angle in a rearward direction and the centrifugal force trying to straighten the axial angle is precessed .... and so on. Thus the continuously changing axial angle causes a continuously changing direction of the centrifugal force which causes a continuously changing axial angle etc. etc. to give you the twin coning effect. I would expect the cone to be angled slightly upwards. Nitro first law is everywhere.

Is the twin cone centred on the centre of mass? Quite why it should be a twin cone (from the centre of mass?) someone else can have a go at.

Regards
NM

PS Blaze et al, I am sorry to answer your question with a new string but, since my computer got replaced, the answer form keeps rejecting my submissions because, it says, it has a wrong e-mail or security number – yet, as you can see, I can start a new string because no number is required. Any ideas why it rejects my replies – and don’t just say it’s because my replies are crap – you utter shower! And sit up straight when I’m writing to you!
Date: 13 April 2014
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

• No answers yet
  • Add an Answer >>
    Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
    Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products