Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

23 April 2024 09:05

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Glenn Turner (website owner)
Subject: Changes to website. Suggestions
Question: Hi All,

It has been a long while since I've made changes to this website/forum. I want to provide some useful changes.
Any suggestions?

Glenn Turner
Date: 10 May 2014
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Harry K. - 10/05/2014 09:57:48
 Hello Mr. Turner,

Here some suggestions:

- a search function which includes all postings in a forum
- a possibility to edit own postings after sending to correct type errors
- a possibility to implement pictures and Office documents in a posting

Just check other forums which provide these and more functions.

Thanks,
Harald

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 10/05/2014 14:10:23
 One's ability to add pictures and drawing would be great along with all that Harry mentioned.

Thank you for this site. You are a prince.

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Turner - 10/05/2014 14:42:46
 Ok noted.

I can allow pictures. Offer documents I may need to think about. I may have to virus check them etc.I will upgrade the search and allow editing of a post provided no one has replied yet. I also add a feature to allow reporting of a post (to be removed).
I'll also upgrade the speed in which the forum works. I noticed it is getting a bit slow.

I'm also hoping to have chance to finish the book that I've been writing. It has a chapter about propulsion but I want to add much more detail. I may setup a new area of the website with some......common pitfalls and possible avenues of further research.

Glenn

Report Abuse
Answer: Harry K. - 10/05/2014 19:08:27
 That sounds pretty good, thank you in advance!

Harald

Report Abuse
Answer: Nitro - 11/05/2014 19:43:37
 Hi Glen Turner

Welcome to your own website, stranger. May I take this opportunity, and I am sure I speak on behalf of all the gyronauts here, to thank you for giving us a forum that has probably saved many a marriage, many a friendship and many a trip to the funny farm. Mind you, as my house is like a nut house most of the time, that is perhaps not saying much.

A lot of us have been treading this path for many a year and I, and I am sure others, had an interest that predates even that of Eric Laithwaite. Eric's innovative ability was clear in his many successful achievements. I do not feel that his overenthusiastic race to show the Newtonian anomalies he also found in some gyroscopic reactions deserved the disgusting display of vindictiveness shown to him by the scientific establishment.

That we cannot see gyro thrusted craft whizzing around the place may be because usable reactionless thrust is impossible. On the other hand, of course, it may be because it is possible, but that the path is far more difficult and the solutions to thrust’s problems more obscure than most could imagine.

Flight, after all, was proposed by many people over history but its realisation took ages. Leonardo was one of the earliest people to proposed that powered flight was possible, way back in about 1500, when several means of achieving it were drawn by him. That it took over four hundred years until 1903 (it was then that the Right brothers finally got their Flyer into the air near the Kill Devil hills) when what was probably the first powered flight finally occurred, shows how long truly novel physics ideas can take to find usable form.

Foucault named and experimented with one of the earliest gyroscopes in 1852 and although I can find no record of the first person to suggest a gyro might be used to achieve reactionless thrust, it is unlikely it was suggested earlier. So, if it can take four hundred years for an idea to become fact, we have until 2252 to play around with inertial thrust before we can be accused of dragging our feet.

Thankfully this means I can search out my comfy chair, pour a small Dalmore, put my feet up and forget about clearing cobwebs from the work bench in the garage for tonight.

Kind regards and laughter, guys.

Thanks again Glen

Nick (Nitro)

Report Abuse
Answer: Momentus - 12/05/2014 10:51:31
 Hello Puppet master,

May I echo Nitro's comments and add my own thank you.
The changes that Harry K proposed are the ones I would like, in particular the ability to search the whole site (for my own narcissistic purposes)

Momentus

Report Abuse
Answer: Ted Pittman - 13/05/2014 20:43:56
 (1) Editing one's own posts would be helpful.

(2) A way to submit papers for publishing on the site.

(3) A sort feature would save a lot of time.

Report Abuse
Answer: Ted Pittman - 22/05/2014 15:46:28
 Hello Glen,
Since many of us are hands-on experimenters, it would be great if there was a pulldown tab for "Equipment". It would be a place where we could share websites that provide parts that we need. Also, we could post comparisons of what works best, cheapest, smallest, fastest, etc.

It's a real struggle to get 'things' and then to get them to work properly. I've tried to share some of my experiences. And when I dig through the posts, I have found some useful notes about equipment. There may be some optimum ways to set up a gyroscopic testing bench - even though we all build different devices.

Ted

Report Abuse
Answer: Harry K. - 28/05/2014 17:23:59
 Hello Glenn,

I forgot one thing. An oppurtunity to ignore postings from some fatheads would be great!

Thanks in advance,
Harald

Report Abuse
Answer: Nate - 31/05/2014 14:36:31
 Enforce some rules for polite, respectful posting of useful exchanges and information.

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Turner - 31/05/2014 15:39:32
 Hi,

Yes I could/should add some checks on who can post. So at least checking there email address. Plus a method to report abuse of the forum.

I have another busy few days but after that start doing some programming on the website !

Glenn

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 01/06/2014 02:31:39
 Hi Glen,

I get a say too. Thank you. You spoke of adding a method to report abuse of the forum and I was wondering what construes abuse.

For myself, I don't like rules, but I obey two kinds; those of my own design that keep me steadfast and honest, helpful and friendly, but challenging. I obey all the other rules because I have to.

If anyone is unique he will sometime depart from conventional thinking and other times he will adhere to scientific conviction. He will chose and say so and sometimes oppose non-sense, but there are a lot of confused people on here who wish to have their non- nonsensical teaching unopposed and so they wish for a rule to shut him up.

Recently we had a PHD on here who gave from his long studies of scientific findings with logical reasoning and accumulated facts. His delivery was not soft-shoe and chocolate covered marshmallows. It was hard and scientific without care of effrontery. It was scientific and blasting and no one had to read it. Those that disagreed flipped out. Those with a little more in self control felt it necessary to post, “Ignored”. Why I don’t know, but it works. The idea should be, don’t read it if you don’t want to, period. Otherwise someone’s hard will, but weak understanding, may be force upon another by rules that can favor wrong thinking and wrong teaching unopposed.

I am not suggesting that I think the man is a genius, but the reactions to him put me in mind of this quote, "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. . . " Jonathan Swift

My part in the fiasco, is still bubbling while I am calm. It was in response of having read for many years that gravity disengaged in one grid, moved with its same magnitude intact, only to reengaged in a distant place under a lighter mass yet still applying the same magnitude of force. We also kept reading that centrifuge and momentum vanished and that mater disappeared whenever flywheels are tilted, and that there is something called ‘no-mater'? And that this no-mater cannot be accelerated; and from another source that dark motion was the magic behind it all. There was more.

Pardon me, Glen, but I kept silent for years rather than hurt the feelings of someone I liked. I was wrong. You know your site would not be beneficial if such as above goes unchallenged, just because challenge can hurt feelings … and it did.

By coincidence, Doctor Fisher and myself challenged the confusion and misstatements at the same time and the site is still bubbling hot because of it. So to rules and force politeness to mistaken teachings and to blocking corrections in favor of softness would be far worse than merely unproductive. Our challenging was viewed as character assassination and meanness; but what is a debate? Is it not just saying, “You are wrong and this is why. . . ?”

Your site has been excellent for everyone for a longtime and I hope you will keep it mostly as it is, with the exception of some great substance suggestion above.

I had my say. Thank you again.

Happily and sincerely,
Glenn,

I see Jonathan Swift was right. As if on cue they are still at it, in the post just posted, “Who Gains?”

Report Abuse
Answer: Harry K. - 01/06/2014 11:45:55
 Hello Glenn Turner,

I don't know if this would be in your and the members sense but would it be possible to implement closed discussion groups, i.e. only selected members are allowed to read and post in this group?
The reason is that some of us might not discuss their findings to anyone in the public for certain reasons.

Thanks for providing this forum!

Best regards,
Harald

Report Abuse
Answer: Nitro - 03/06/2014 12:10:22
 Dear illustrious Glen Turner, (what do you rabble out there mean:- Crawler?),

While it is tempting to follow Glen Hawkins's request and ask you dump objectionable contributors like perhaps me and Doctor Dave/No/Stan. I urge you to be patient as irritants while a pain at the time, tend to make us all reappraise our preconceived ideas of what is important even if it causes the spitting of feathers. Most irritants, I have found, tend to fade away if they are irritated right back. Apart from my recent outbreak of name calling, for which I should feel deeply ashamed, I do try to be humorous and not fit into his category but, if I do, I am sure those on this site will let me know. Dr. Dave seems not to understand humour or the need to do practical work. Book learning, while useful as a guide to what went before, is not practical work and will not normally lead to the innovative paths we need to find.

kind regards
NM

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products