Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

23 April 2024 14:28

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Glenn Hawkins
Subject: Gyroscopes and centrifugal force:
Question:
During precession centrifugal force must be present. . . but in many experiments it may not be allowed to exert itself, or cause a reading, or a countering effective force at all.

There are two juxtaposing forces I wish to expand. Centrifuge we already understand. The other is gyroscopic forces. Blaze understands some of how it works it, if no all. Rotating wheels resists being tilted from their plane of spin, when they are forced to do so, as in the method of my friend Mr. Kidd (Hi :- ) , the gyroscope resist being twisted and so its weight is forced down upon the pedestal. The pedestal then could be measured to weigh the weight of itself, and additionally the weight of the gyroscope. According to calculations by Professor Liftwate, to the best of my recollection, the gravitational force down on the pedestal would increase 300 times greater during a relatively heavy Tadco gyroscope precessing down on the light weight pedestal.

The importance of understanding this explanation is one’s concentration on the twisting action of the gyro and the equal resistance of the pedestal.

When Sandy makes the forced precession (my apology for using the turn you don’t like.) precess faster, gyroscopic forces are increased and cause the wheel while twisting, to force down even harder than just the weight of the gyroscope. The wheel then twist itself upwards and inwards as the gyroscope forces are increased until they overpower a weaker centrifuge.

Things to consider:
When a gyro is spinning very slowly its deflections are weak and precession is fast, then centrifuge is powerful enough to fling the gyroscope off the pedestal.
When the gyro spin is very fast precession is very slow, and if precession is pushed to precess faster the deflections become more powerful than the centrifuge. The gyro forces are inward and upwards and become much stronger than centrifuge so that centrifuge cannot register its existing force.

In these forced precession experiments one can completely discount an acting effect of centrifuge and be correct, however without the explanation that centrifuge is present but overpowered; a great nightmare of confusion and argument that will not die and is left to explode again and again in an undying controversy for forty years.

It is all so simple. All may comprehend. All contradiction may be averted. All can agree. For this to happen and remain, it should be understood and explained that centrifuge can be easily overpowered by a greater, naturally occurring gyro force that happens when forced hub rotation becomes strong enough to overpower centrifuge.

I guess I have created a greater debate.
Good cheer to all,
Glenn
Date: 22 May 2014
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 22/05/2014 00:10:14
 Typo:
Blaze understands some of how it works it, if not all, . . . but probably all.

Report Abuse
Answer: Blaze - 22/05/2014 01:46:01
 Bang on Glenn. Well said. I just amazed that so many people don't understand it.

cheers,
Blaze

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products