Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

23 April 2024 12:04

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Fatih
Subject: Gyro drift solution
Question: Is there any method to compensate or at least minimize the drift of a typical gyro (say ADXRS150/300 from Analog Devices)

Could Kalman filtering be an alternative??
Date: 29 June 2004
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: webmaster@gyroscopes.org - 29/06/2004 23:50:29
 Yes filters are a good way to reduce drift and I heard Kalman Filtering is very good but I've not used it myself. You can also combine accelerometers and gyros (sensing the acceleration of rotation).

Another option is to add multiple gyros in parallel per axis. This gives you a better mean value but because of the extra cost tends not to be used much for low cost projects.

I've also heard of people reseting the center values regularly. This often involves using some kind of tilt sensor once 'it' has rotated to a known angle (as detected by the tilt sensors) the gyro value can be corrected. This option is only useful in some cases.

The last option I can think of is to use a mechanical gyroscope with a low drift rate. Again not always practical.

Report Abuse
Answer: webmaster@gyroscopes.org - 15/07/2004 10:53:08
 Out of interest. Where did you get your gyro from? Can you get them in single units?

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products