Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

3 May 2024 10:45

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Ram Firestone
Subject: Inventors help
Question: A friend of mine at work showed me this web site. I haven't tried it yet but it looks like it might be useful to garage inventors: http://www.emachineshop.com/

Ram
Date: 21 July 2004
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Nitro MacMad - 10/08/2004 07:59:33
 Dear Ram,

Excellent site, if rather expensive for the fairly simple (taken a stage at a time) mechanicals needed.

Have you considered however, that this site could undermine the entire shed dwelling culture? If my wife discovers such a site, what excuse will I have to escape to that peaceful haven, to be surrounded by old and well loved toys (the thirty year old Black and Decker made of real metal that should have been replaced years ago but for a strange mutual love, the BA taps and dies that should have gone too but for my Dad leaving loads of BA thread stock which would be a shame to waste, the beat up Wireless set that, bless it, seems unable to tune in to modern pop music and where would the family deposit all the treasured items of their past for me to delight in when I stumble across them, often literally, while looking for some discarded work-piece that just might………).

While I am often delighted and amazed at where the web is taking us and with such speed, I feel that this site is a step too far. Good grief, Man! It’ll be the Spinning Jenny next!

On a more gyro related matter the main mechanicals of my “fast repeater” impulse drive have got to the wiring up stage although the subject of some nasty, complicated cams and sliders still has to be broached. I had to submit to the urge to try it in its incomplete form (one tends toward paranoia and expects that any small mechanical change may wipe out what has been done before and consign what has been seen to the realms of fiction). I am pleased and relieved to say that after “firing it up” I am still confident that (the “every” and the “opposite” part of) Newton’s third cannot - indeed does not - stand.

Kind regards

NM

PS Our webmaster still hasn’t put a gyro clip in Gallery-Movies that shows the starting point of the gyroscopic propulsion path. Perhaps if someone else showed an interest it might persuade its appearance.

Report Abuse
Answer: webmaster@gyroscopes.org - 11/09/2004 17:13:12
 I'm very impressed with the concept of the e-machineshop I'm sure over the next few years more like this will spring up.

Report Abuse
Answer: Ram Firestone - 05/01/2005 06:34:23
 I just tried emachine shop. I'm having them build a three large tops and the top plate to a small air table to test them on. It's not cheap but it's fairly easy to use. You download their design program and go from there. They have a couple tutorials which are pretty good. It only took me a few hours to get somewhat proficient with it. The program is somewhat buggy, but it’s not hideous. I imagine they will clean things up as time goes on. When I say it’s not cheap I should qualify my statement. It’s not cheap if you only build one of something. If you order like a hundred the price drops exponentially. In fact the only reason I ordered three tops is because it was only about 30% more than buying one. So if you are planning on making something to sell it may not be too bad at all. It will take between one and two months to get my order. I’ll let you all know how it goes.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products