Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

20 May 2024 22:07

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Matt Tokich
Subject: Gyroscopes in toasters??
Question: Hello. Im in a product design class and our challenge is to find a new and effective way to toast bread. I have come up with several ideas, none of which seem to be approved... However I was wondering if there was a way to incorporate gyroscopes into a newly designed toaster? My idea would be to ahve them heated and travel around the bread, ultimately toasting it on both sides. generally speaking, would this be in any way possible? Thanks.
Date: 17 August 2004
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Harvey Fiala - 11/09/2004 02:02:29
 A novel way to use a gyroscope to toast bread would be to use a ring laser gyroscope. Use one with about a three foot diameter and adjust the laser beam power to approximately one kilowatt.

Now here is the tricky part. Adjust the optics so that there is about a two inch air gap between the lenses. This should not be a problem since you are in a product design class. Then arrange to use the force of gravity to drop a slice of bread through the air gap directly onto a breakfast plate. Since there are contra-rotating beams in the gyro, if the power level is just right and if the bread is dropped from just the right height to control its speed as it passes through, the bread should be nicely toasted on both sides after dropping through. The only problem is that, as in the movie CONTACT, the bread might arrive at the bottom approximately 14 milliseconds later than you calculate.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products