Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

3 May 2024 09:01

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Mike Ruddock
Subject: State of the Art
Question: I have read your book. What are you doing now? Did the folks in Oz follow through?
Date: 13 October 2004
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: SANDY KIDD - 14/10/2004 12:32:46
 Mike.
I can only assume your question was aimed in my direction?
Thanks for your interest.
I will not go into any detail relating to the company’s activities, other than say that things were in a state of flux all of my time there.
They did however fund the successful laboratory testing of 2 completely different devices.
The test for the first of these is described in the book.
The testing of the second device, has up to this moment never been mentioned.
It was utilising a novel approach to gyroscopes, which I did not wish to divulge.
The company did assure me that their team of engineers and physicists would get the answers to the problem.
Much easier said than done.
I have to say they tried their best, but like all the rest, they were trying to make non Newtonian action comply with accepted principles.
In fairness, if the source of the breach is not known, what else can you do?
Cannot blame them in the short term for that.
I was “let go” along with some other non-profit making projects late in 1999 to save on company expenditure.
Before I continue I will state that we (wife and self) were extremely well treated by the company, for the term of our stay with them.
So now I had 3 different operating devices:-
1 My first consistently well performing machine, successfully demonstrated twice at Imperial College, London, once at the Department of Engineering, Edinburgh University at the request of Head of Department, and complete with a computer trace of its successful performance from the University of Dundee. Trace commented on and signed by the Doctor.

2 First of two identical machines built for research was tested at the Vipac Labs. Precession and gyro drive were from one input from a water-cooled engine.
No radio control was fitted to this machine.
At my request the book would only be published if this machine was tested
successfully at the laboratory.

The second of these identical machines was fitted up with electric motors and speed controllers for precession and gyro drive for research purposes.
Initially this device gave me gyro sizes, speeds, etc for lab tested machine.

3 The third machine was based on a spherical gyro system where the sphere became gyroscopic for one half of a revolution and a dead or (accelerated mass) for the other half. This performed exactly as predicted also proving that a radially accelerated rotating sphere will rotate inwards during acceleration.

Howsoever from that point on I knew I was on my own, and would have to solve the puzzle myself.
Took a few different approaches to the problem over the next few years and produced about 30 devices, most producing something but still not nearly enough.
No point in flogging a dead horse, so I stood back for a while to see what I was missing, and about this time I took another look at my first machine from a different angle. Several weeks later I began to put the bits together and the penny finally dropped. Due to certain, how can I put this, non-deliberate motions, and looseness, the device was going through a series of actions that was producing the thrust all by itself. The problem was that to reproduce those actions would be a mechanical nightmare, but it did point the way.
In every other device I have built, the differential creating the thrust is an indirect action of something else, and consequently small.
There is a requirement in every one these devices for a pair of extra actions that will allow for a much larger differential to be created. One of them is easy to build into a device, the other requires more than a fair bit of cunning.
Have just completed my first device with the extra factors included, and am just beginning to test run it. Think it should do the trick. We can but see.
From my Australian experience this is a 4 gyro, twin contra rotating device with speed control for all 5 motors, all functions radio controlled including its 3 wheeled steerable de-mountable carriage.
Sandy Kidd
14/10/04

Report Abuse
Answer: Sandy Kidd - 15/10/2004 07:02:09
 Mike,
My apologies.
Made a mistake in my answer to you.
I left BWN late in 1989 not 1999 as stated.
Old age, and all that.
Lots of water under the bridge since then.
Sandy Kidd
15/10/04

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products