Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

3 May 2024 11:31

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Nitro MacMad
Subject: New Videos of Prof. Laithwaite and Alex Jones
Question: Dear Webmaster,

Thank you so much for the inclusion of the “Christmas lecture” by Prof. Laithwaite and the video of the “Heretic” programme.

It is great to see the video of Prof. Laithwaite passing on his excitement to others in the video of his lectures - surely the best teaching. It is however, very sad to see the difference between that confident scientist who had the backing of a supportive team in the video of his lectures and the lonely shadow of a man, dumped by his peers, working with Mecano in the Heretic video. Thank god, those nutters in sheds (inventive geniuses) like me don’t have to rely on the input of that shameful British scientific community to be able to see the future.

Kind regards
NM

Date: 3 November 2004
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Sandy Kidd - 04/11/2004 08:24:08
 Welcome back NM,
No need to ask if you enjoyed your holiday.
You did make mention of Eric Laithwaite’s tremendous enthusiasm, which was captured on the “Heretics” program.
Every time I met the man these traits were very apparent.
I personally think, that it was due to this unbounded enthusiasm, that he made a couple of mistakes, for which he will never be forgiven.
He got carried away a little bit, and paid the price.
The demonstration that finished him, was the claim that the gyroscope lost weight, during manual radial acceleration, as he rotated it above his head.
I still cannot, for the life of me, figure out why he claimed this.
However, I have yet to see, or hear, any adverse comment relating to the fact that he also claimed there was no centrifugal force present during this demonstration.
Did the high priests accept that part or conveniently miss it?
Will this far-sighted man ever get the credit for what he did discover and predict?
Methinks not.

Two important pieces of advice he gave me were:
1 Never ever claim to be breaking the 3rd Law, that’s suicidal
2 Never, ever, get even remotely associated, with the “Perpetual Motion” crowd.

I will never get involved in the perpetual motion thing, but I do reserve the right to claim what I like as far as Newton’s Laws are concerned.
Sandy Kidd
4/11/04

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products