Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

23 April 2024 16:17

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: glenn m. hawkins
Subject: .
Question: Hello!
I kind of missed you fellows. Another year is approaching without a solution. Happy New Years anyway!
I guess Sandy will never forgive me, but that is OK. You are fond to me anyway Sandy and it gives me happiness to think of you sometimes. I hope everyone is well.

Lay two long sticks together, side by side and tie the forward ends with a string. At the point where the string is tied to the forward ends of the sticks, connect a tiny motor with gears. When the gears turn; the unattached ends of the sticks are forced to rotate forward in opposite directions.

Consider that each tied end of the sticks force equally against one another at the beginning; oppositely against one another. That force is sideways against sideways. As the sticks rotate they produce equal force, but the opposite force direction gradually recesses from 180 degrees outward (sideways). During the time of sideways acting force, the speed of the unattached tips of the sticks increases in circular speed. The result is that: Sideways momentum is converted to forward momentum. (This is not about a closed system of rotation, but about acceleration) You can use the forward momentum by colliding the sticks into mater. Yet, a portion of the momentum would have been built not forward/rearward, but sideways/outwards.

This doesn’t work as it is explained here, because as the sticks rotate centrifuge would attempt to pull them apart at the tie ends. This would drive the tie ends with motor rearward with momentum equal to that in the forward rotating ends of the sticks.

Consider however; that the rotating ends of the sticks are caused to rotate inside an exact enclosure wherein their centrifugal force would be held by the enclosure. Then the sticks could not pull sideways against the tie ends to result in rearward momentum. Theoretically you would have converted sideways force into forward force.

Of course you would put a gyroscope in the center of each stick, and . . . . And, what? I don’t know. Don’t look at me.

Happy New Years All,
Glenn
Date: 26 December 2014
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Patrick Hill - 27/12/2014 08:25:11
 Hi Glenn, not too ohh of much,
Yet one of your old ended NEC NEC NEC,was your actual statement..
William wildbore,decendant of the samuel wildbore,is it the road...island agreement or something like that??/ I'm not sure what I mean"especially in New country history as of yours" so was that "NEC" to do with selafeild nuclear power plant??

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 29/12/2014 20:35:59
 Hi Pat, Thinks I guess. Happy New Year!!!
Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 05/01/2015 17:29:03
 Well, I believe I may have found the answer this morning after all these years. I have found a simple way to make the above description work. I can't explain it because nobody here can follow written descriptions of complex mechanical actions.
I will put it aside because I don't have time; one day maybe.

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 05/01/2015 17:29:10
 Well, I believe I may have found the answer this morning after all these years. I have found a simple way to make the above description work. I can't explain it because nobody here can follow written descriptions of complex mechanical actions.
I will put it aside because I don't have time; one day maybe.

Report Abuse
Answer: Patrick Hill - 16/01/2015 22:03:15
 Just pls write in postal with a stamp,air mail

Report Abuse
Answer: Patrick Hill - 16/01/2015 22:03:21

Report Abuse
Answer: Patrick Hill - 16/01/2015 22:03:22

Report Abuse
Answer: Patrick Hill - 16/01/2015 22:04:44