Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

29 March 2024 10:06

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Nate
Subject: Christopher G. Provatidis
Question: F.Y.I.

“Older and contemporary attempts for inertial propulsion”
http://gsjournal.net/Science-Journals/Research%20Papers-Mechanics%20/%20Electrodynamics/Download/3772

“A device that can produce net impulse using rotating masses”
file:///home/chronos/u-a8a83e48fcb93961d9f8052578fb3422aa6b8e2f/Downloads/Engineering20100800012_40372981%20(3).pdf

His work makes one wonder "do gyroscopic principles hold true for 'partial' gyroscopes?
Looks like you don't need a full flywheel...
Date: 15 September 2015
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Momentus - 16/09/2015 14:14:57
 An interesting post. Is the (home/chronos/u- etc) supposed to be a link? Gyroscopic principles do exist for partial gyro rotors and can give some useful effects for manipulating angular momentum.
You do not mention conservation of momentum. Deliberate omission or an over-site. Gyroscopes are not the exclusive method for producing asymmetric thrust.
Well worth a more detailed read.
Momentus

Report Abuse
Answer: Dave Parsons - 05/11/2015 03:23:11
 Nate;

Anybody home?

Sandy vouches for ya.

Same question as Momentus.

(file:///home/chronos/u-a8...); is a file on your computer?

Report Abuse
Answer: Nate - 11/11/2015 13:52:19
 Sorry. Here's the link to download the pdf.
www.scirp.org/journal/PaperDownload.aspx?paperID=2570

Also, I found an even more interesting report relating to patent US2008/0223636:
www.realautomation.ca/publicintroA1.pdf
Gottfried Gutsche proposes to extend Newton's "incomplete" laws.

Report Abuse
Answer: Dave Parsons - 12/11/2015 06:56:38
 Nate

The first link shows only a computer image of device. It appears to be an open device, which brings up questions about the geometry of the "masses" and their varying aspects to the atmo in their figure eights and the airflows generated by their motions. If it is an open device, then the possibility exists that the "thrust" could be entirely to do with airflow generated by the masses motions. Apart from that consideration, I would be concerned about averaging out positive and negative values generated by flexing rods and other non-rigid members.

Do you have any info if it has ever been done completely enclosed?

The second link for Patent? was blank.

Dave

Report Abuse
Answer: Dave Parsons - 12/11/2015 07:34:16
 second attempt; second link showed up

Report Abuse
Answer: Nave - 12/11/2015 15:54:20
 Dave-

No, I haven't found any evidence that Provatidis has tested his devices enclosed. I wonder why he doesn't simply put one on a scale. I did, find value in his math that predicts a net lifting force.

My approach involves a combination of gyro forces and eccentric mass forces. All of the references I've found use only one or the other and I don't believe symmetrical systems will ever release the forces we're seeking.

Right now, I'm struggling with the PTO over the formalities of my patent application - very difficult indeed (even with a patent attorney).

Ted

Report Abuse
Answer: Nave - 12/11/2015 15:54:24
 Dave-

No, I haven't found any evidence that Provatidis has tested his devices enclosed. I wonder why he doesn't simply put one on a scale. I did, find value in his math that predicts a net lifting force.

My approach involves a combination of gyro forces and eccentric mass forces. All of the references I've found use only one or the other and I don't believe symmetrical systems will ever release the forces we're seeking.

Right now, I'm struggling with the PTO over the formalities of my patent application - very difficult indeed (even with a patent attorney).

Ted

Report Abuse
Answer: Dave Parsons - 13/11/2015 06:26:13
 Nate

I have a number of devices in mind and have noticed that any departures from "unbalanced" , tends to "balance" the effect out of existence.

I have to put a "thumbs down" on discussed device until it has passed the "enclosed test".

Dave

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products