Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

25 April 2024 02:32

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Nitro
Subject: video answer
Question: Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in putting up the follow up video but I have Adobe Premiere elements - need I say more? the video is here:-

https://youtu.be/4j6Zgdan3E0

kind regards
NM
Date: 5 February 2017
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 17/03/2017 19:33:25
 We old timers have had a hell of a ride reasoning out the truth.

In your machine the gyros are resisting movement in the half-circle forward.
The shaft to pivot attempts to move in an opposite half-circle. The system is in rotation.

There is no linear movement beyond the center of gravity. Two masses move away from one another equally and oppositely. The center of gravity remains in place.

Gyroscopes cannot move outside of their area of precession, except to collide into an object and then the gyro and object move in equal opposite direction.

Your fine experiment shows a 1/8” difference favoring against propulsion. For that small amount, reasons of drag and friction can be found to explain it. I could do it. Most of you could, if you really applied yourselves, but it is not worth the effort.

If you enjoy theorizing and designing apparatus', that’s great, like playing checkers.

You few guys left may keep it up! Why not, but it became fruitless and wasteful to me once I understood mechanically everything there was to know about it all.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products