Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

28 March 2024 11:47

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Andy Scott
Subject: Calculation of pitch Stabilising gyroscopic effect
Question: All of the maths I've seen on gyros give methods of calculating the precession force from a given roll rate. I would like to know how to calculate the resistance to roll moment of a gyro so that I can use it as a tilt stabilising device.
i.e. If a given rotor has an angular velocity of zero, no gyroscopic forces are present, so the angular acceleration of the rotor (around any axis) can be calculated from the applied moment and the ritational inertia of the body around the axis of rotation.
This can be easily demonstrated with a (stationary) pushbike wheel. If you hold the wheel in space by supporting each end of it's spindle, then remove one of the supports, you have effectively applied a moment to the assembly (weight x 1/2 spindle length) which causes the wheel to rotate around the remaining support. The angular acceleration can thus be both measured and calculated without any gyro maths.

Now take the same wheel, this time with some angular velocity about it's spindle axis. When the support is removed as above, the same moment (due to gravity) exists trying to accelerate the wheel about the remaining support, but the rotor resists this moment and precesses about the vertical axis.

The next step is to imaging the second support as a horizontal pin joint, only allowing rotation of the spindle in the vertical plane at 90 degrees to the spin axis. In this way, the wheel is prevented from precessing around the vertical axis. My question then is: How can I calculate the acceleration of the assembly around the pivot pin axis for a given applied moment?
Date: 23 November 2004
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

• No answers yet
  • Add an Answer >>
    Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
    Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products