Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

29 March 2024 06:07

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: kristijan
Subject: Interesting video and implication
Question: Look at this video It is acting, moving device solely using a forced precession:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVCMZTZv3Qg

My question is - theoretically if you use 2 paired gyroscopes to cancel each other will it run smoother, and theoretically with 4 balanced gyroscopes that all cancel each other...will it run in space?
Date: 12 December 2019
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: kristijan - 12/12/2019 21:43:22
 And why it will not run in space if you think it won't with 4 balance gyros?

Report Abuse
Answer: kristijan - 12/12/2019 21:46:50
 I think I got it...it just twists the canter axis but not causing a forward impulse....Regardless how many you put is just a twisting effect (rotation). But does it really? Can this be transferred in forward momentum/?

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 14/12/2019 15:07:23
 kristijan hi,

The apparatus is an excellent design and presentation and maybe the best ever. However, each time you see it wobble, you see as you know, the result of sideways friction at the wheels. If the apparatus were set on a sheet of ice it would only wabble back and forth, also move forward then rearward a little as it continuously regained its center of gravity. When you speak of two and four paired gyroscopes, I know that you used good reasoning to get to that, only to then learn that that logic does not work. I see you have understood much more than is common. I reached that same point twenty years ago.

Good evening, good going,
Glenn H

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products