Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

20 April 2024 04:21

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Ted Pittman
Subject: Pendulum testing
Question: To mathematical Gyronauts,

What math would you use to predict the performance of a Pendulum Test when the driving force is oscillating or pulsing horizontally?

Everything I've read assumes a steady horizontal force.

Nate

Date: 18 May 2021
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 18/05/2021 20:33:49
 Hello Ted,
If not a horizontal force, then what? 1+0= 1 works for me.
Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: Nate - 28/05/2021 12:47:08
 Glen,
You have your wit.
I have my patent.

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 28/05/2021 20:14:49
 Hi Ted,
Good for you. I sincerely wish you the best in your endeavor. Hope springs eternal and you have that on your side. ‘ Best of luck to you.
Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: Ted Pittman - 31/05/2021 01:01:31
 Thanks Glen.

Report Abuse
Answer: Nate - 20/06/2021 12:41:39
 Research indicates a better testing method is to propel a boat in water like Roy Thornson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4LT3GZjlY

Report Abuse
Answer: Nate - 29/11/2021 18:14:47
 Update:
When Roy Thornson's patented device moved a boat in a pool of water it was said to be a demonstration of Inertial Propulsion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4LT3GZjlY

So, I diverted my attention to duplicating such a test. But, now I've found a convincing experimental and mathematical analysis of Thornson's device, which proves that it is
NOT an example of IP after all!
https://digitalcommons.uri.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1657&context=oa_diss

Upon reviewing historical posts on this website, I discovered that Sandy and several others have doubted Thornson's IP claims since before 2011. I'd thought they were doubtful because Thornson's device is not specifically gyroscopic. (Neither is mine.)
I've spent a lot of time preparing to duplicate a non-effectual test !

Just this past week, NASA launched a missile to intercept and nudge an asteroid. And, while I still believe inventions like mine could power Space Tugboats, I am doubtful that Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos or Branson will be interested mechanical propulsion now.

We'll see what a Pendulum test reveals.

Nate

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 09/02/2022 23:03:36
 Hello Nate,
You wrote a couple of statements.
“Thornson's device is not specifically gyroscopic. (Neither is mine.)”, also “Just this past week, NASA launched a missile to intercept and nudge an asteroid.”

Aside from the force of an impact, do you consider that in space there is no mass to push against but for a rocket’s mire exploding gas? That greatly limits the use of the law of equal and opposite force. One solution for your method after landing your craft on an asteroid would be to dig and extract rocks of heavy mass and explode them into space, as with a howitzer.
Good fortune to you,
Glenn

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products