Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

29 March 2024 12:39

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Glenn Hawkins
Subject: Hi
Question: I have reasoned out a final question and answer to precession. The question was, why does precession travel faster and further than the vertical tilting down toward gravity?

During tilting the top of the gyroscope is moving away from the pedestal, while the bottom is moving inward toward the pedestal. Each pushes against the other, top to bottom, which begins the torque.

Precession however is not powered by gravity. Precession is powered by deflections that occur horizontally. Both front and rear deflections push in the same direction. They do not oppose one another as happens in tilting and so there is a greater unrestricted force applied against precession. This frees precession to travel faster and further than the speed and distance of tilting downward into gravity.

I can’t think of any other unanswered questions. I may eventually combine all that has been mechanically explained here and repost it. I don’t know.

Glenn,
Date: 25 May 2021
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 25/05/2021 05:44:55
 Nuts. I accidentally misstated this, “and so there is a greater unrestricted force applied against precession.”

In actuality, there is much less restriction to precession in the horizontal plane.

Report Abuse
Answer: dave brown - 29/05/2021 22:30:58

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 30/05/2021 02:36:32
 Dave, I was harsh on you but of course, it was just word and not something I believed and nobody else believed it either Try to ignore it and I will do better in the future. Good luck to you.
Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: dave brown - 01/06/2021 06:30:29
 we do not have same definiton for 'harsh'.
nothing is forgiven or forgotten; after all, we are all educated mature individuals and not politicians who "are allowed to" just push things to the side.
we grow when we have to search our own soul, if you will, and come up with reasoning. I would be doing a disservice if I accepted any less of someone.

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 01/06/2021 07:14:45
 You are pitiful. Stay away from me and good residence.

Report Abuse
Answer: dave brown - 03/06/2021 19:52:30
 if you had been following along, the thing to say would have been, dave, ok, i'll leave you be.
...and good residence to you too. i don't want to be fighting someone who is suffering a disadvantage... ...then again...

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products