Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

20 April 2024 03:48

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Glenn Hawkins
Subject: propulsom
Question: I spent a halftime time learning mechanically how and why a gyro dose does what it does. My conclusion was negative for thrust but I still wish the others of you the best. The action here on the site has at times, been furiously engaging and I miss that as I check in once in a while. I think there might be a lot more people engaged than these responding but we are certainly out of habit, responding that is. I enjoy following you. Keep it up. I always liked everyone even in arguments with disagreements. I still do.
Elon Musk,
NO, WAIT! I’m not him. I am Glenn, Hello all, and good luck.
Date: 19 October 2022
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Sandy - 19/10/2022 15:15:46
 Hello Glenn,
Glad you are still interested whatever you say.
I got lucky.
A chance in a million?
So far you have not got lucky
The problem is only impossible and will remain impossible if you believe all the assumption in physics spun to you as gospel.
I do agree that a gyroscope under any condition can not deliver inertial thrust
However if you combine the attributes of a pair of gyroscopes, then under certain conditions things can be made to happen.
Good to hear from you Glenn.
Best regards,
Sandy
PS
Very important point
As it is deemed impossible just because you are able to, or claim to successfully produce inertial thrust does not mean anybody is ever going to believe you anyway?

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 19/10/2022 17:07:12
 Sandy,
I was hoping to hear from you. I mistakenly put this post ahead of yours instead of where it should have been following your thread. I had forgotten how to use this thing. I apologize and suggest you repost yours with all answers as new. Keep it going.
The method I learned was purely mechanical of my own design. There is no otherwise
mechanical explanation in all the world of physics. It has never otherwise been completed. It just hasn’t and I have never been able to make myself understood about my method and study. If I designed a presentation with pictures (motion would be far better) Just as you’ve experienced, people would still not believe me.
You have done too much and learned too much as we aged for you to hang –it-up now. I know you have a following much bigger and wider than are willing to make themselves known. However, you got lucky, great for you.
I was disappointed, actually saddened to hear about Harold’s eyesight. It was once good enough that he was a supervising engineer. Maybe he can still be employed at his calling. Good for benevolent Sandy to be willing to assist him.
Until next time happy trials old pal,
Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: Harry K. - 19/10/2022 21:36:44
 Hello Glenn,

Thank you for your sympathy.
It's only when you have limitations that you realise how well you were doing before. Well, I guess that's a truism.

Regarding buying drives with the help of gyros, I am still convinced that they will be feasible. When bus think outside the box and don't give up!

Greetings
Harald

Report Abuse
Answer: Harry K. - 19/10/2022 21:42:17
 Corected text:

Glenn,

Thank you for your sympathy.
It's only when you have limitations that you realise how well you were doing before. Well, I guess that's a truism.

Regarding propulsion with the help of gyros, I am still convinced that they will be feasible. When bus think outside the box and don't give up!

Greetings
Harald

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 20/10/2022 16:18:27
 Harry,
I was so glad to hear from you. None of us are as well as we once were. That’s the trouble with life. Youth and health don’t last. Yes to your truism. Sandy said there must be two gyros working together. That would be true. My in-space design employed four in order to stabilize the initiating forces to tilt, all working opposite to one another. Of course, my work is finished in failure but you men’s work still interests me. I follow you. Go for it. Good luck.

Indem ich Ihnen das Beste wünsche,
Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: MakeThingsFly - 22/10/2022 22:09:43
 I was hopeful that Maxwell's Wheel would be supportive evidence of a gyroscope in motion registering a weight loss (as the fly wheel moves up and down, the whole device weighs less. Also the weight loss test can be done by anyone, and it is universally accepted.). But I built a variation of the device which separates the up and down motion from the spin, and it still registers a weight loss. So the weight loss isn't connected to gyroscopic properties, seems more to do with inertia.

Report Abuse
Answer: Harry K. - 23/10/2022 09:29:56
 Yes, it has to do with inertia. In free fall, the wheel would even be weightless.

Report Abuse
Answer: MakeThingsFly - 24/10/2022 00:46:09
 The fall down was understandable, but the weight loss when pulling itself up? In my mind it should have showed a weigh loss while descending and a weight gain as it ascends. I need to improve my test device, but I've separated the spin so it is a non spinning weight going up and down and it still registers a weigh loss. A good test, but I have to accept the results.

I've got some more tests lined up, but I have to wait till after I finish up some other projects before I start again.

Report Abuse
Answer: Sandy - 24/10/2022 11:17:22
 My apologies Harald and Aaron,
I was not aware that you were already examining the rising and falling Maxwell Wheel experiment.
A Maxwell Wheel to me meant a disc separated into coloured sections and spun rapidly and not as a flywheel.
Again, my apologies but my crystal ball has a broken transmission
Worn out with old age I suppose?
Regards,
Sandy

Report Abuse
Answer: Harry K. - 24/10/2022 12:00:23
 Hello Sandy,

there's nothing to apologise for!
This matter has not yet been discussed in such detail ;-)

Regards Harald

Hello Aaron,

You are making interesting attempts! I still don't understand how you did your experiment without rotating mass? the winding and unwinding of the thread wouldn't work then, would it?

I admit that the behaviour of Maxwell's wheel in terms of weight loss during downward AND upward movement is intuitively difficult to understand. I felt the same way...

Maybe this consideration will help you:
When the wheel has unwound the thread, i.e. when it is at the lowest point, the wheel turns at maximum speed. Moreover, the wheel has accelerated to maximum transversal motion until just before the bottom end. This transversal speed is abruptly stopped at the lowest point, the thread is tensioned and gives the wheel an upward impulse, causing the wheel to accelerate upwards and thus become lighter. This impulse of force is also transmitted downwards in the opposite direction to the support (scale). This brings all the forces back into balance.

The stored rotational energy in the wheel is now released again in the form of the upward movement, and converted into ptential energy.

After that, the game repeats itself and would go on endlessly if it were not for friction.
The "weight saving" is bought by the downward impulse at the lowest end of the thread.

I hope this is written in a reasonably understandable way.

Regards Harald

Report Abuse
Answer: MakeThingsFly - 26/10/2022 03:38:17
 Hi Harald,

It's too bad I can't add pictures (at least not that I'm aware of. If so let me know). You'd probably get a kick out of my test apparatus. Send me your email and I will send some pictures.

Sandy, let me know if you'd like to see it. I still have your email from a while back.

Cheers,

-Aaron

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 26/10/2022 20:31:12
 Hello good fellows all,
I don’t understand. The Maxwell wheel works vertically, much like a pendulum in the horizontal plane. Even if there were no friction there could be no energy gain. Can’t we all see that? On the other hand, gyroscopes are extraordinarily complicated toward the extreme. Once we think we understand, that is only the beginning.
Best regards,
Glenn

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products